leatherman style impressions

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive had a swiss on my keys for some time. also had a leatherman squirt s4, which was too heavy for me. then i saw this leatherman style at frys for $15. did some research, and it seemed the weight was actually less than the classic swiss. so i picked 1 up.

i cannot comfirm the weight cause whichever i have in my right hand seems heavier. :shrug: and i dont have the scale to measure its actual weight in OZ.

this is going to be a quick comparision to the swiss, and squirt S4. ive only had the leatherman style for about 1 week, and never really had to use it in a situation yet.

first off, compared to the swiss, its thinner, and thicker, LOL does that make sense? hopefully the pics will clarify that.

the tools such as the knife, nail file, scissors are harder to access compared to the swiss. ill try and point them out with the pics.

first off is some size comparisions.

left to right, classic swiss, LM style, LM squirt S4, LM juice S2, another swiss(dont know what it is exactly, was given to me by my uncle about 20 years ago), and last is the LM wave

dsc00059pg.jpg

heres a pic with a AAA cell as reference

dsc00049gq.jpg

dsc00050yh.jpg

the knife, i like the LM kinife more as its much beefier than the swiss. thicker, wider, and has a nicer belly in my opinion. but also notice the groove position. the swiss has its closest to the tip of the knife, the squirt is on my middle portion, and the style is closest to the fulcrum. i dont understand why LM did this, when they could of easily made it nearer the point of the knife. it makes pulling out the knife the most difficult of the 3. while the swiss is very easy to flip up. the mechanical advantage goes to the swiss. also, something about the styles design when using the knife doesnt feel right in your grip, and its because of blade guard, part of it is not there(the piece that has the 4 holes), and getting a secure grip takes some getting used to.

next is the nail file. again, the most difficult to acess compared to the other 2 multi-tools. the grit of the squirt s4, and style feel very smimilar, while the swiss is alittle smoother. ive never really use any to file my nails, i usually use my LM wave. as its smoother. so i guess the swiss is prefered for the nail file. also, the groove is place on the middle of the nail file on the style, which makes it easier to filp out. although, the swiss is the easiest. the swiss' groove is also on the other side of the the file which also seems like a better design.

dsc00054fb.jpg

the scissors. of course the squirt s4 has the best scissors. as its bigger, and easier to use. the style compared to the swiss is alittle better. i like that it feels more natural. it seems to be lower, and postioned more to the level of what your cutting. (notice that the bottom stationary piece is level with the bottom of the tool). the swiss spring feels better as it seems stronger, and more springier, with a wider travel.

dsc00053oz.jpg

and the tweezers. i like LM design more, simply because the swiss design can easily come out, and risk losing it. the tweezers of the LM design is cut at an angle at the tips, while the swiss is straight. i havent really used them enough to figure which works better, although the style's tweezers is supierior to the squirt s4, the swiss tweezers work well. guess ill have to give this one to the style for its more secure placement.

dsc00055qw.jpg

dsc00056y.jpg

conclusion: i was hoping this would be superior to the classic swiss in every way, but i really cant say that. both still have qualities that are better than the other. so it comes down to what youre looking for most. and for me it was the knife, so as of now im carrying the style on my keys. weight is also considered, as i have a fenix E05 R2 on there, which is used much more. :)

kabayashi

Newly Enlightened
I agree, the Victorinox classic is still the best mini EDC Tool.

I carry the new Leatherman Squirt PS4 for quite some time, it's great because it has the pliers and the scissors, but it's a bit too bulky and too heavy.

Classic all the way.

Magx

Newly Enlightened
I've never been able to get the tweezers out of my LM Style !!

How in the world do you get them out >?!??!

Other than that, I really like it and tend to use it more than anything else I have.

phlebas

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought a Style to add to my ever-increasing collection of mini-multitools. In general I like to keep my keychain as minimalist as possible, but I've been able to add the Style without noticing much increase in weight or bulk. It really doesn't take up much more room than a key and I like having a backup in case I forget to pocket a multitool on my way out the door.

Aesthetically I love it--I think the skeletonized blade side looks particularly cool.

Functionally, I like it. Good, not great. I actually prefer it's blade to the one on my Squirt PS4. I find the nail file to be a little too small to use. It's easy to slide it across your fingernail and have it slip off off, and the nail nick interferes with its operation. The scissors are effective enough, and I like having tweezers handy.

The tweezers are hard to remove, no doubt. I've given myself a small cut under my fingernail while trying to pull them out.

The action feels a bit rough, by which I mean I feel a little bit of a grinding/friction sensation when I open the nail file. The scissors have stuck closed on me a few times.

All in all a good, not great, keychain tool. Knowing Leatherman they'll come out with a version 2 which will improve on a few engineering flaws.

yliu

Enlightened
I recently got the Style CS. Very nice tool, since all I really need is a scissor.