ASP Tac-Lite brief review

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
ASP TAC-LITE

OVERVIEW:
The Taclite, produced by ASP, is another two cell light that uses DL-123, 3volt lithium cells. Unfortunately, not much was known about this light, as it is not very popular. I managed to get a good deal on one, and here's a brief overview of it.

The light is constructed of heavy aluminum body, which has a foam vinyl sleeve, to aid in grip, as the body has no knurling, or other means of friction to ensure a firm grip. The tail cap also houses a mini push button switch, which is soldered to a circut board. This circut board has a spring attached, which makes contact with the negative pole of the battery cell. The push button is accessed through the rear of the tail cap (like almost all other "tactical" mini lights), and also features a small rubber switch cover. The bezel unscrews, to reveal an aluminum reflector, and lexan lens. All pieces were machined perfectly, with all joints o-ring sealed. The light is slightly longer and wider than a Surefire 6P, but it did fit the two holders I have for a 6P (Uncle Mikes Cordura, and a leather holder, I think from Tex Shoemaker).

The lamp assembly is unique. It uses a bi-pin lamp (specs unknown) which has the ability to have its focus changed by using a lamp adjuster assembly, housed on the rear of the reflector. This works by screwing or unscrewing the knurled knob, which moves the lamp in relation to the reflector, thus allowing a pin point or flood light pattern, which cannot be altered, unless the lamp adjuster screw is moved. The bi-pin lamp also features a shock absorber; a small rubber o-ring that surrounds the lamp, as it sits in the reflector assembly.

Using the light proved easy: install the included batteris, and click on the rear switch, or use a lighter touch for intermittent on/off. It took a few minutes to adjust the beam to my liking, and like full size focusable lights, i.e. Maglite, some focus settings, usually on the flood stages, showed a dark spot in the center of the beam. Overall light output was very impressive. I used my Surefire 6P, with the high output P61 lamp assembly, and focused the ASP to an equal approximation, and found that the ASP light output was slightly brighter. This is excellent output, with a claimed battery life of 1 hour. Beam quality was very good on the narrower settings, but suffered slightly when a flood pattern was desired, as the flood pattern showed a noticable center drak spot, and distortion rings on the outer edge of the beam pattern.

Overall, the ASP is an excellent alternative the main 2cell lights: Surefire's 6P, and Streamlight's Scorpion.

PLUSES:
--light output
--construction
--foam grip
--switching capabilities
--internal focus capabilities

MINUSES
-hard to find replacement bulbs
-lack of popularity
-unproven switch assembly
-foam grip may be damaged easily

--dan

Doug

Enlightened
Ok, the site does not have a catalog (but it sure does have an annoying siren
mad.gif
!). So, what is ASP's website, anyone?

Doug

WillnTex

Newly Enlightened
The foam on that ASP light is actually tougher than it looks. It's the same foam that they use on the ASP baton. The light can also be attached to a ASP expandable baton by removing the tailcap and putting a baton connector on the end which then screws into the back of the baton. The light is then activated by a switch on the side of the connector. You can also get the light in electroless and 18K gold plate.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Those batons are mean. I was shown a solid (not hollow) version with a SureFire BatonLight with P61 installed. Not often do tools have two "wrong ends" (!)

Very quick to open, worryingly heavy and hopefully, the worse you'll get is blinded rather than whacked!

The sample I was shown was for export only because they are apparently illegal to own (or sell) [not quite sure about the laws] in the UK. This solid version was even more effective than the hollow ones carried by some Police here in the UK. Nasty.

To most people, it looked like a flashlight with the 'foam' grip. Until a quick flick, and it extends... I'll take the blinding option, thanks Officer!
tongue.gif

Al