You a Smoker or Not ?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I'm curious as to whether my fellow CPF'ers smoke cigarettes, cigars or a pipe or have ever smoked and quit. Please, I'm not referring to any of the other types of leafy or crystalized stuff that can be smoked.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
I'm curious as to whether my fellow CPF'ers smoke cigarettes, cigars or a pipe or have ever smoked and quit. Please, I'm not referring to any of the other types of leafy or crystalized stuff that can be smoked.

[/ QUOTE ]
The last cigarette I smoked was in November of 1995.

I still came down with emphysema in 2002. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was in high school, I thought people that smoked were real losers, plain and simple. Now I work with some very intelligent people who happen to smoke. In my opinion, they just made a bad decision to start and we've all made bad decisions. I'm a believer in individual rights and I won't knock people for smoking (in non public places) but I'm so glad I don't. Many of my relatives have died from lung cancer, heavy smokers all of them.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
geepondy said:
When I was in high school, I thought people that smoked were real losers, plain and simple. Now I work with some very intelligent people who happen to smoke. In my opinion, they just made a bad decision to start and we've all made bad decisions. I'm a believer in individual rights and I won't knock people for smoking (in non public places) but I'm so glad I don't. Many of my relatives have died from lung cancer, heavy smokers all of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I'm not a smoker and never have been (to much running/other athletic things), but know many people that have made the "bad choice" of starting. What about you, this_is_nascar?

-Mike

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I smoked until December 31,1995, and promptly bought myself an Hitachi Ultravision 50" big screen tv as a reward the following day. Many people said how could you possibly reward yourself the very next day, and I simply replied that it was my strategy to to make a statement to myself as to how serious I was. Plus, I sent away for the tv and had to occupy myself the whole next week, making diagrams and figuring out how I was going to re-configure my audio video system and rack components. It was a bit of a distraction and an invaluable aid in helping me ward off extreme crankiness. I also smoked a pipe for several years when I was younger and had quite a pipe collection at the time, I wonder what happened to all of my exotic pipes?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
keithhr;
I like your strategy, but I'll bet that if you were smoking a pack a day, you had NO idea at the time that you were probably gonna save enough money to completely pay for that home theatre set-up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

How much is the average pack of cigs going for these days?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
The LED Museum said:I'm a member of the persecuted minority too. Cigerettes only; none of that "whacky tobacco" or anything else leafy or crystalline.

[/ QUOTE ]
I promised myself when I quit smoking that I would not become one of those militant "ex-smokers" who are sometimes worse than the so-called second-hand smoke from smokers.

-An extremely difficult habit to break, -trust me.
After the first Surgeon General's warning in 1964, I tried to substitute something healthier, -like ganja, hash, and opium.

Even that didn't work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
I used to smoke from the end of 7th grade till about 1.5 years out of high school.I think around 6+ years.

I quit almost 2 years ago. Havent looked back.
Its very hard to quit, you just have to set you r mind to it and say" I am stronger than these damn things".

Oh hey,,, you should make this thread have a Pole! that would be neat.
Smoker
Non=Smoker
EX-Smoker

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
vcal, as a matter of fact, that is exactly what I had figured. Cigarettes were going for $2.00 a pack and I was smoking just over 2 packs a day of merit ultra lights, so I had figured that my quitting would save me $4.50 a day or $1640 a year saving me a total of $8212 over the first 5 years alone, hence I really deserved that $2500 big screen tv. I was mad as hell at the cigarette manufacturers and how they were controlling the nicotine content on a daily basis. They were controlling my addiction and I had to get even.

Greta

Flashaholic
I quit smoking on April 22, 2002. I smoked for 23 years. I'm good now but the year after I quit smoking, I've never been sicker in my life. It was almost not worth it and it has been a very, very long road. I am just now getting back to feeling good again.

I have turned into one of those awful ex-smokers, I'm afraid. Although I don't actually voice my thoughts but I do hate the smell of second hand smoke and I really hate the way my hair smells when I've been around someone who smokes. Since I quit smoking, I've let my hair grow long and it just smells so horrible when it's full of smoke. I think if I'd known this years ago, I'd have quit years ago. It is the only thing that keeps me from picking up smoking again... I could do it so easily otherwise.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I'm an ex-smoker for 15 years now. I got sick with some sort of bug and for about 6 weeks after I got to feeling better, the taste of a cig would make sick to my stomach! I figured someone was telling me something, so I took the oportunity and quit! Carried a pack with me for a month! Would get the craving, light one up, go yuck, yuck and put it out! Adversion theropy(sp) from on high! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

Starshiptrupr

Newly Enlightened
I smoke currently, I've quit twice using the nicorette gum.(Actually know some that quit using the gum and are still ex-smokers.)When quit, it's not the actual second hand smoke that bothers me, it's the stinky residual smell it leaves on/in things. I plan on quitting again soon...