Department issue flashlight?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
around here they use magchargers
frown.gif

at least i get this warm fuzzy feeling when i think about how my ultrastinger stomps their magcharger
grin.gif

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
CHP issues SL-20X's...The smaller municipalities issue SL-20X's. Sheriff's Dept issues Stingers.
My Dept used to issued 3D sized lights, either Streamlight or Mags. I think the new recruits are being issued Stingers, though.

--dan

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mag Charger with a W/A #01111 bulb is brighter and whiter than a SL-20X with the SL-35X LA.

I have both, and I'm playing with ways to deliver an extra volt to the SL-35X LA to overdrive it.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn Welch-Allyn and the $100. minimum order....Anyone have a spare 01111...hint hint...Or maybe I can organize a group buy, but I don't think there's enough interest...

--dan

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
We were given PolyStingers and for the most part hate'em. Mainly because -- have you ever picked one up in the dark and tried to turn it on like, instantly? It's like, "WHERE'S THE DAMN SWITCH???!!!

Then your fumbling fingers find it, and you press (and press and press) only to discover your mashing on the damn TRIANGULAR CHARGE PORT ON THE OTHER SIDE!!!

Sheesh. Okay, I'm vented now...

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
OOOHHHH Dano. Let me tell you That 01111 bulb is a sight to behold! Especially when driven with the powerstream 2500mah 1/2 D cells. Alllmost as white as my M6 and falls somewhere between the 250 and 500 lumen LA's Suprisingly due to the focal lenth of the magcharger reflector the turbohead is tighter in my opinion than the magcharger unless you really make the magcharger beam "fold over upon itself"

Dano Email me, as i might be able to help you with a 01111 bulb in a week or two...

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tom,
They're issued MiniMags for what purpose??? Surely not to see things in the dark...... TX

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
No Tex, they're for subduin' suspects -- makes'em laugh so hard they become helpless and then it's easy to handcuff'em...

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work for a Sheriff's Office instead of a police department. I have been issued a Streamlight SL-20X which I just put a SL-35X lamp assembly in. I also have a county issued Streamlight Stinger. The UltraStinger, Stinger HP, Polystinger, and soon to be arriving TigerLight are all mine. I did an off-duty gig tonight at the ski hill. I had a traffic cone on the SL-20X with SL-35X LA. Somebody actually stopped and asked where he could buy a flashlight like that! My partner gave him the name and URL of several police equipment dealers in the St. Paul/Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

ReconTech

Newly Enlightened
I know a department here that doesn't issue any kind of flashlight. Period. Now, most of the officers have bought 2AA mini-mags, and a few have 2D mags in the car...

They recently hired a new officer who brought her own SL-20X (the polymer one) and she was impressed with it, until of course she was introduced to my light: Mr. Ultrastinger
smile.gif

grift

Enlightened
man i feel bad for you guys.
my department was issued Surefire M6's for the car and Surefire M3's for our person. we also have to buy our own surefire 123's, but we get them for $1.25 each
grin.gif
i never knew we had it sooo good until i saw what you poor guys had to use.
frown.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why in the world would a LEO buy a 2AA or a 2D to use at night (other than Mr B's very memerable explanation)?? You can get a 3D for almost the same price as a 2D, & it puts out a lot more light. Even a 4D isn't much more in $$. TX

grift

Enlightened
Originally posted by grift:
man i feel bad for you guys.
my department was issued Surefire M6's for the car and Surefire M3's for our person. we also have to buy our own 123's, but we get them for $1.25 each
grin.gif
i never knew we had it sooo good until i saw what you poor guys had to use.
frown.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">rofl, guys im not even a LEO, but i know i had a few of ya going
tongue.gif
yellowlaugh.gif

ReconTech

Newly Enlightened
For Police departments, what is your department's issue, or departments you know of...around here, one of our big city departments issues surefire 8NX, and the larger county department, just 6P...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Dang it Grift,... I've been waiting for a police officer to say "Surefire something or other". I live in Texas (outside of any of the big cities) and I've been making a conscious effort to take note of what the officers are carrying. I have never seen an LEO (anywhere in Texas)with a Surefire. That's why I can't figure out how LEOs are supposed to be such a large part of their market. For that matter, unless they are special forces of some type, I've never known anyone in any branch of the military to be issued one either.
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Surefire, own numerous products, and will continue to pay big bucks for their works of art. Few things put a smile on my face like when I hold one of their products. I just don't see how their product fits into the LEO/military market. Furthermore, I don't understand how we at CPF are not a huge part of their market. Honestly, you guys and myself are the only people I know of that own them (some of us have multiple M6s, 10Xs, E2es, etc.) My point is... other than us loons here on the forum, I don't see thousands of dollars being spent on the product by anyone other than individuals and enthusiasts. Please tell me I'm wrong. I'd like to be able to justify my purchases to those who aren't quite so enamored by lights as myself by saying, "Hey, all the elite police and military organizations carry them."

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Originally posted by txwest:
Tom,
They're issued MiniMags for what purpose??? Surely not to see things in the dark...... TX
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The mini-mags were picked about 15 ago, when they were pretty new and trendy, and they've never changed. Agency has more than 400 officers, so it's not exactly a small group, either.

jnc36rcpd

Newly Enlightened
We issue either an SL-20 or a Magcharger. Officers may purchase anything reasonable out of their uniform allowance. Some have purchased Ultrastingers. Belt lights are popular, primarily Stingers, Polystingers, or Surefire 8X's.

By union contract, the county police issue the Magcharger.