A Flashlight (for someone that knows nothing about flashlights)

Z

z_bfors

I'm taking these questions from the recommendation sticky. Maybe you guys can help me out.

Thanks!

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $25.

____Less than $50.

____Less than $100.

_x__Less than $150.

____Less than $300.

____I have no limit.

____I'm flexible, tell me what you gotJ.

____Other, please specify ________

3) Format:

_x__I want a flashlight.

____I want a headlamp.

____I want a lantern.

____I want a dive light.

____I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Keychain size.

____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).

_x__Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).

____Holster carry.

____Big enough to need its own travel caseJ.

____I don't care.

____I don't know.

____N/A

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)

____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)

_x__I don't know.

Probably LED because of efficiency.

6) Manufacturer:

_x__I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

_x__I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

Either! I'd like to piece together my own as long as there aren't too many parts to buy.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

I don't know all the much about batteries. I suppose I want the most cost effective option.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

I don't plan on using this light for reading, but I do plan on being able to see lots things outside at night. Open to recommendations.

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)

_x__Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)

_x__5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

_x__30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)

____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

____150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

Best possible, I would consider sacrificing brightness for this.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

I generally take good care of my things, however if I drop it a few times (including in water) I don't want it to break. I'll be using it while camping.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).

____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).

____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).

____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).

____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).

____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

____I don't care.

_x__I don't know.

____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

2-5 light levels would be ideal.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).

____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).

____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)

____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

____I don't care.

_x__I don't know.

____Other, please specify____________.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

Nope, but it would be cool if I could tell people that it's safe to use in explosive environments.

Any help is appreciated!