3.0A Driver Upgrade for Cree XM-L T6

Corvette6769

Newly Enlightened
Central Illinois USA, In a van down by the river
When I check my KD XM-L T6 drop-in at the tail cap with my Fluke 189 digital multimeter I only get 2.2793A with fully charged TrustFire Protected 18650 3.7V True 2400mAh Rechargeable Lithium Batteries (DX sku 20392)

Where can a person get a 1 x 18650 multi-mode driver that will run the Cree XM-L T6 at its full 3.0A potential?

Corvette6769

Newly Enlightened
Central Illinois USA, In a van down by the river
I can not find a cache of this thread. Please repost replies. Thank you.

Here are some missing posts I received via email notification subscription.

There may be other posts, but these are all of the notifications I received between 1-9-11 and 3-12-11.

Unfortunately, none of my posts are here because the forum does not send copies of posts to the poster via email notification, so unless others here can fill in, my posts are lost forever.

Since I assumed this forum had backups of its backups (as all professional forums do), I never saw a need to keep copies of my own posts.

Sunday, January 09, 2011 2:32 PM CST
jd_oc posted:
It could be your batteries. I have a NB XML and only get 1.92 amps on an 18650 Ultrafire yet I get 2.86 amp on an AW 18650. But, to answer your question, maybe the NB 3.1 amp driver is what you are looking for?
Where can a person get a 1 x 18650 multi-mode driver that will run the Cree XM-L T6 at its full 3.0A potential?
Sunday, January 09, 2011 5:20 PM CST
RedForest UK posted:
Yeah I think so, he mentioned it in another recent thread on a similar topic called 'any truly regulated P60 drop-ins' if you want to look it up.
Sunday, January 09, 2011 7:32 PM CST
jsr posted:
Yes, an additional 7135 is stacked on top of an existing one on the bttomside of the driver board. This is a poor method for thermal dissipation as the solder pads likely can't handle the heat of 2 devices but is effective enough to supply additional current, albeit not the full rated amount as the LDO chips drop drive current as heat builds. Another nodded does the same thing by stacking 4 additonal chips to achieve 4.2A.

Rej

Newly Enlightened
Hi Corvette... I feel your anguish on the lost posts, in my case I was barely 'enlightened' (joined Dec, 2010)... though frustrating, I did not lose much in comparison to yourself and other members... a new start to my 'flashoholic' journey!
Have you checked out KD's XM-L drop ins? A couple of reviewers are claiming 2.6 to 2.8 tailcap amps on high.
I just got there cheapo ($25) KD C8 XM-L 5 mode flashlight (SKU:S009844), which has a decent build and puts out an 'incredible' amount of light on high!

When I 1st got it, I measured 3.21/1.23/0.14 amps(hi-med-low) at the tail-cap on a fully charged AW18650-2600 @ 4.20V.
I checked again when the battery was around 3.90V and I was still drawing 2.66 amps on high. Oh by the way, this sucker gets 'hot' after 5-10 minutes on high when inside the house, however on my dog walks it does not seem to be a problem...though it is about 0 deg C here!
Mind you, whether their drop-ins are the same as in my light......:shrug:

Last edited: