CMG Sonic vs. Arc AAA: beamshot runtime plot

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moderator: Not sure if this belongs in review forum or not but I bet more people will see it if you leave it here.

Here is a comparison of the CMG Sonic versus the Arc AAA LE in a beam shot run time plot but with a caveat. I started it 8:00 on Friday night but at midnight at the 240 minute mark, both lights were still going strong while I was rapidly giving up the ghost and slipping into moon mode so I had to cheat a bit. I went to bed and let the lights continue on but with no more pictures. This Saturday afternoon, I put two more fresh batteries in both lights and let run unattended until the 270 minute mark where I then began taking pictures again. All four batteries are the Energizer Max brand and all four are from the same package and have expiration dates of 2009. The Sonic was just purchased this week while the Arc LE is of fairly new vintage I believe just before the Mag appeasement logo was changed as it still is around the rim of the head for this light. All shots were taken at the same exposure but the camera doesn't quite capture the entire essence. In retrospect, perhaps I overexposed the images a bit more then I should have. Initially the Arc has a much smaller hot spot but with more spill light in which the camera did not quite capture quite the way my eyes saw it. The Sonic has a much larger hotspot, perhaps very slightly brighter then the Arc but with little side spill outside the center hotspot. If I had to guess, I'd say the Sonic was putting out a very slightly more total light output in terms of lumens. As the runtime progressed, both lights dimmed slowly but steadily, similar to Roy's runtime plots, until between the 270 and 300 minute mark where the Sonic suddenly lost it in a big way and went into moon mode while the Arc continued its slow dim. Finally, the Arc slipped into moon mode… after nearly ten hours! Concerning moon mode, the Sonic wins in this regard. The Arc's moon mode is not even showing up in the last photo but it is there but very dim. From the batteries used on Friday night, the Sonic still had some measure of useful light left nearly 20 hours after power up before I replaced the batteries for tonight's run. By the Sonic having a measure of "useful light", I am talking about reading a watch or a newspaper at very close quarters, not for getting yourselves out of the woods.

Physically and atheistic wise, I like the Arc better. I like symmetrical cylindrical lights and the knob that constitutes the Sonic tail switch is displeasing to me. Also I find the Sonic's tail switch to turn too easily. If carrying in the pocket, I'd want to unscrew it a full turn past the off point to ensure it would not accidentally turn on. Luckily plenty of thread turns are provided for this purpose. Construction wise the Arc is more solid as well and I'm sure more water proof but the Sonic is no slouch and I'm sure will hold up well under normal circumstances. Kudos also to CMG, for putting a viable AAA LED light on the shelves of retail stores. Too me though, it's worth paying the extra for the Arc unless you desire the bigger hotspot that the Sonic provides, and the Sonic bright run time is sufficient for your needs. Can't help but still wish the Arc was flatly regulated, however.

Sonic on left, Arc on right. Time listed on each photo is of minutes from start.

sonicarc.jpg

Tomas

Banned
Very nice series of shots. They show very well exactly how the two perform and how different their design philosophy is.

Good info for anyone considering one of these lights.

T_sig6.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
EXCELLENT work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Great pics. This was very informative.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
dang, those are really nice shots
good work there, buddy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

it seems sonic starts out brighter for the first 30 min and arc stabilize out longer and brighter than sonic for the remainder of its useful life time and suddenly dies at the end of its (arc's) time.

very nice runtime beamshot test /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Absolutely awesome geepondy. Nice job in the pictures and your review. You just saved me time and expenses and now I know not to waste any of either on the CMG Sonic.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Roy said:
Here's the runtime plot I did on the Sonic and insewing compairison with the ARC AAA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Roy. Reading even futher with your graphs, I think it silences any good reason to even consider the Sonic as it relates to runtime and output. I guess cost and or looks could come into play for some, however I never liked the look of the Sonic and in this case AAA vs Sonic, you get what you pay for.

peter.jpg

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
9+ hours at good brightness from a single AAA alkaline in the ArcAAA as shown in geepondy's timed beam shots is insanely good performance

....and puts that sample of the ArcAAA in almost the same realworld runtime as the CMG Ultra and Ultra-G running on an AA alkaline battery.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was surprised by the long runtime of the Arc as well and it ran over an hour longer then the one from Roy's graph. Could it be possible the Eveready Max's are better then the Duracells? I had done informal runtimes before and I don't remember it going for as long or so suddenly dying at the end. When it did die as you can see from the last picture, it wasn't even bright enough to get captured by the camera. It's a far stretch to call it moon mode. On another night I might stick a Duracell in it and just time it to see how long it goes before dying.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Geepondy,

That was one of the most useful runtime beam comparisons I've seen. Coupled with Roy's excellent chart it tells us what we need to know.

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
geepondy said:
I was surprised by the long runtime of the Arc as well and it ran over an hour longer then the one from Roy's graph...

[/ QUOTE ]

How would a direct drive ARC plot look different from the one in Roy's graph?

I hope Paulr doesn't mind my quoting his post in that other thread:

...Unregulated LED's use less and less current as the voltage decreases, so they have a long useful tail beyond 50%. Since they don't suffer much color shift as the battery trails off, they're really almost as useful at 50% as at 100%. Semi-regulated LED's like the Arc AAA also will trail off to somewhere below 50% (maybe 30% without losing much usefulness, but then they drop completely out of regulation and fall to maybe 1%, which is barely enough to navigate if you're well dark-adapted.

Which makes me curious about the value of that partial regulation.

Brightnorm

catch228

Newly Enlightened
Great review and pics. The members of this forum never cease to amaze. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
How would a direct drive ARC plot look different from the one in Roy's graph?

I hope Paulr doesn't mind my quoting his post in that other thread:

...Unregulated LED's use less and less current as the voltage decreases, so they have a long useful tail beyond 50%. Since they don't suffer much color shift as the battery trails off, they're really almost as useful at 50% as at 100%. Semi-regulated LED's like the Arc AAA also will trail off to somewhere below 50% (maybe 30% without losing much usefulness, but then they drop completely out of regulation and fall to maybe 1%, which is barely enough to navigate if you're well dark-adapted.

Which makes me curious about the value of that partial regulation.

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]
An Arc-AAA wouldn't even light up at all if it were direct drive. You would need to add two more AAA batteries to get a high enough voltage to drive the led.

This is one of the huge advantages of the Arc-AAA's semi-regulation (dc-dc voltage converter); you can use a single AAA. Otherwise, the light would have to be much larger or use more exotic cells.

Pat

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
treek13 said:
...An Arc-AAA wouldn't even light up at all if it were direct drive. You would need to add two more AAA batteries to get a high enough voltage to drive the led.

This is one of the huge advantages of the Arc-AAA's semi-regulation (dc-dc voltage converter); you can use a single AAA. Otherwise, the light would have to be much larger or use more exotic cells.

Pat

[/ QUOTE ]

Pat,

Of course you're right about the voltage. By direct drive I meant dc-dc converter without the regulator circuit, but are you saying that the dc-dc functions additionally as a semi-regulator? As an electronically-challenged Flashaholic I'd like to understand this.

Brightnorm

gyverpete

Enlightened
WOW! Nice job geepondy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif That's the best beam pic and time-lapse run I've ever seen. This comparison makes me cherish my AAA even more, if that's even possible.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
ratings?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I don't get it......

Normally I don't put much weight on rating stars -
but this thread was rated at what I thought was a well deserved 5 stars - then all of a sudden it dropped to 2 stars -
what happened?

Is there some genuine gripe about geepondy's excellent photo/timeplot series, or the responses?

Or did someone accidentally give this thread a bottom rating? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif