Projector screen made from fog!

yclo

Flashaholic*
From here:

The Walk-thru Fog Screen

The Basic Idea
The walk-thru fog screen is a novel and intriguing method for forming a superior quality physically penetrable dry fog display. It is a break-through technology, literally! The key features are that the screen is flat, enabling high-quality projections, and walk-thru is possible. The fog screen feels like nothing and does not make things wet. It creates a magical effect as if the images are floating in thin air.

images1.jpg

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, great idea! Perfect for advertising in the middle of nowhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Dan

hula

Newly Enlightened
Interesting but I'm a bit dubious about there interpretation of the meaning 'high quality'.

Hula.

Empath

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Furious_Tiger said:
very cool. havent we seen this in a movie

[/ QUOTE ]

the Wizard Of Oz.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fear that this might turn into the kind of nightmare we had when billboards lined the side of every highway. I can imagine these projector screens used for advertizing every few feet at a shopping mall. And the kinds of laws that keep the highway billboards from inundating us don't apply to privately owned property like a store or a mall full of them.

Paul

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`m sure I`ve seen something similar, even if not quite so effective, on TV too. Could it have been a Buck Rogers/Battlestar Galactica/etc type show? Looked like dry ice forced through a narrow opening to create a thin "wall" effect, but it was rather lumpy....

-

Something tells me they don`t work too well in open spaces where there`s large movements of air, and definately wouldn`t be much good outdoors. All you`d need is to carry a fan and waft them away!

I hope your prediction doesn`t come true. The last thing we need is popup advertisments appearing left, right and center in real life. It`s bad enough online /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea, but look at how bright the projector is on that guys face and shirt! Yuck, you can't look straight on or the light of the rear projector will blind you to the fog refracted images. You'll only be able to see it from an angle which will severely reduce the quality of the image...

This kind of thing has been being done at LEAST since the 20's and probably much earlier in "magic lantern" shows and seances and the like. It's definitely fun, but hardly practical I think.