Maglite XL 100 Problem

Z

z_manikdepression

Hey Guys,

This is my first post here. I got myself a Maglite XL 100 about four months ago and I really liked it a lot and then the light would start to flicker on and off and sometimes I could not turn the light on. I figured out I needed to clean the contacts so I did so and it worked perfect again. That was about a week ago and then yesterday it just stopped working on me out of nowhere. I re-cleaned the contacts, changed the batteries like three times and made sure they were pushed in all the way, I also made sure the battery holder was in the correct way and it still won't turn on. I would think a manufacture defect would have shown up a lot sooner. Has anyone else had this problem or know a solution? Thank You.

Hairy

Newly Enlightened
Having the same problem. i reckon it's with the switch itself. Anyone else?

Anonnn

Newly Enlightened
I had what I think is the same problem as you guys when I first got this flashlight. It would still be a problem now, but I figured out how to fix it so it doesn't bother me anymore. My solution was to first take off the tail cap. On its underside you should see two metal contacts that meet the battery carrier (one in the center and one just off center). These contacts can be depressed like a spring, but they sometimes get stuck all the way or even part of the way down from being pushed when the tail cap is tightened. I know it probably seems like you would have to find some kind of tiny, tweezers-like tool to pry those contacts back out, but what I found was that when I just pushed them in with my fingers some and shook the tail cap with those metal contacts facing the ground, gravity pushed them all the way back out into place. They actually jump back into place usually. Let me know if that works for you.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate to ask the obvious, but have you confirmed that you haven't locked out the light?

Just in case you don't remember, you lock and unlock the light by pointing it up, pressing the button, rotating the light until it points down, and releasing the button.

--flatline

purelite

Enlightened
wow, I didnt realize these lights are so delicate and complicated. wht is going on with Maglight? They go from tough c and d cell lights to this?