Fenix Lights: I need a happy medium!

Z

z_manikdepression

Hey guys,

I'm new here and pretty new to flashlights in general. I have been looking to get a higher end light and the Fenix TA21 was what I was set on for the longest time. I love the light, but I was looking around on the Fenix website and I saw the TK35 + 45. I would love to get that output (700 - 800) lumens at that price point but neither of those lights have the look I love of the TA21. I looked at the TK15, but it's a bit too small. I do need something that can run rechargeable cells. Could someone please help me out? And it does not necessarily need to be a fenix light. Price limit is 150-200.

firelord777

Enlightened
Hey buddy, I know how you feel. I to was looking at those same exact lights, and a few others. I loved how the TA21 looked, and no other flashlight could compete in the looks department. But then I could not bring myself to spend $100 on a flashlight that won't have a significant amount of improvement over my TK20. Keep in mind that the TA21 is many years old, its emitter is pretty much obselete (Q5) nowadays. I can feel Fenix coming out with another TA model already. You did not mention or specify what you look for in a light other than lumen and looks. So I will try to help you to the best of my ability. TA21 for looks and general use. Not a thrower and is not considered bright for the money nowadays. A few years back it would have been worth its price, now, no way. The TK15 for a useful beam pattern, simplicity and portableness. Comes with a holster, something the TA lacks. For a $200 limit, you have enough for the big boys. If your looking for throw, wait for the TK41 (8AA) but it has 55,000 lux and its speculated in chinese sites at $120. The next competitor is the Eagletac m3c4 XM-L at 39,000 lux. 2 18650. same ring UI as TA21 without the indentations. $150. Next is the Fenix TK35. 20 lumens more (not noticable at all) than the TK41 that's coming out. But its much smaller, think LD40 except a bit bigger, or twice the size of a TK15. 820 OTF lumens. A real Beast, $110, but only 27,000 lux because its reflector is small, as the body. If you want single 18650 lights, the Armytek Predator. I love this light. Don't have it, never will, because its too expensive $150 when there are much better options, but it gives 16-18K of lux at 1.5 amps to an XP-G R5. vesitile like the TA, and looks agressive like the TA as well. 0.7 lumens is its low mode, at a ridiculously long runtime!!! If you really want overkill, get a 50 watt HID. only $150, in a wholesale website because of the shipping. search in google cheap HID and go the the shopping results. 4500 lumens, around 200,000 lux. No warranty however, so its a big risk. and its pretty big, it uses a 6 18650 battery pack. So bottom line, check these lights out and don't hesitate to PM me. I'll more than happy to help you. ANY question, just ask. But make sure to PM because I might not remember this thread. If you have trouble deciding between two of them, JUST ASK me. Oh, yeah, forgot to mention there are also a TK21 (a tk15 in XM-L) and a TK70 monster (speculated at 2000 lumens with 3 XM-L, but its HUGE)

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Eagletac just upgraded their already-awesome T20C2 Mk2 with an XM-L bulb for 550 lumens. It has the same form factor, basically, as the Fenix 15.. I like the Eagletac's look a little better with the stainless bezel ring. Note that most of these have the "old" cree R5 bulb, but the new ones with the XM-L bulb are out there:

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=6981

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Lumintop TD-15X - singel 18650 or 2 cr123's 580 lumens....or you can add 1 extension & run it on 3 cr123's or even add another extension & run it on 2 18650's at 720 lumens. This light looks great, and is a beast. Selfbuilt did a review and said it is the brightest single 18650 light he's seen to date.
Check it out: ClickHere
Check out the review: ClickHere

firelord777

Enlightened
I love my TA21. But if it only had say 350 lumens max, it would have been my all time favourite.

In order for the TA21 to have 350 lumens, it would have needed and XP-G R5 or XM-L, all which are bigger dies and would have produced an immense hotspot, so, you would esentially had a flood light. Especially with that tiny head and OP reflector.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
ElectroLumens EDC-XML looks like a real winner.

If your looking for something larger than the TK15 size light,
Crelants XML light, or Thrunite Catapult v3
I find that size of light to big, the Fenix TK15 takes an 18650 and is my favorite size of light.
There's an XML version coming out later this month 480 lumens.

You could Lego up a Surefire 9p sized light from OverReady or Fivemega and run two 18500 cells.
Get a triple xpg if you like floody lights. That setup would be more than $200 though