LED voltage ratings vs. output

Z

z_mrlysle

Hi all. I need more education. I hope the thread title causes someone to look! I have a couple questions. As an example, I'll use the Quark 123x2 S3 Turbo. Any example would have worked I guess. Ok, looking at the specs, voltage range is 3.0 to 9.0 volts. If I understand correctly, that would mean you could use several battery configurations. 17670, 2 x CR123, 2 x RCR123, wich would cover voltages from 4.2 to 8.4 volts. What is the Vf (forward voltage) of that emitter? 3.0 volts? Or is Vf actually lower than that? Then my next question is this. Does the forward voltage rating of the emitter mean the light will put out it's max rated lumens at all voltages from 9.0v to 3.0v, (or whatever the forward voltage is) or will output gradually drop as voltage drops until 3.0 volts is reached, at which time the light will just turn off? Or does the output change depending on the voltage you supply? Etc, will the light be brighter on 2 x RCR123's as opposed to a 17670 at 4.2 volts? I've learned so much here, it's fantastic, but I still feel like an idiot a lot of times when reading about these emitter voltages. Thanks all in advance for schooling me!