Anybody going to chase "Isabel"?

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody going to chase \"Isabel\"?

If I can get off work, I am packing my camcorder and heading to the coast. Anybody else?

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anybody going to chase

He he. Sounds like you need more excitement in your life. You've picked an interesting way to do it.

Paul

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anybody going to chase \"Isabel\"?

Look at it!!!

OSEIiod.jpg

NewsFlash

Enlightened

The thought has occurred to me that someone could helicopter down a boat in the middle of that huge eye and just follow along in the boat as it goes!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Who's to say that submarines aren't doing it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic

I don't understand how weather planes can fly into a hurricane and out and survive. How is this possible?

Brightnorm

hula

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
NewsFlash said:
The thought has occurred to me that someone could helicopter down a boat in the middle of that huge eye and just follow along in the boat as it goes!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah! - then just imagine your outboard dies or you get cramp in your arms from all that rowing. Washing machine spin - cycle comes to mind.

Hula.

LightofMine

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
I don't understand how weather planes can fly into a hurricane and out and survive. How is this possible?

The same way that a larger oak tree can be blown down and yet a reed on the sand dunes is still standing after the storm. The tree was ridged and would not bend. The reed did not resist the wind but bent almost completely over so it was not broken or pulled out of the ground like the big oak that would not bend. The airplanes tied to the ground are often destroyed during a Hurricane because like the oak tree they are resisting the wind. The airplane flying in the Hurricane is like the reed. It lets the wind move it however it wants. The nose of the plane may be on a compass heading of 180 degrees but because of the strong winds of the Hurricane the actual track across the ground may be 270 degrees, meaning the plane is being push sideways. The Navigator/Pilot knows this and uses it to get in and out of the storm without fighting the storm. Like the reed the plane moves with the wind.

James

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Submariners prefer to be nice and deep to avoid the turbulent waters. Subs tend to give a rough ride if not deep enough in such waters.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast

FC you're a nut. So I guess running into a burning building isn't enough excitement for you; On some time off you're going to try to get in the way of a class-5 hurricane? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

You could theoretically fly an aircraft backwards in a hurricane. With a aircraft indicated speed at 1000 feet of 150 and a hurricane head wind of 160 would give you a -10 ground speed while still safely inside the aircraft flight envelope. If the ground speed of the hurricane is 10 knots in your actual negative heading then you could stay in the same spot in the hurricane until you ran out of fuel, right?

Dude, you're blow'in my mind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have flown in a 200-knot jet stream over in Japan. 150 knots of wind in the jet stream is very common here in the US during the winter.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I used to have an Old Timer RC Airplane that could fly backwards in much of a headwind, and/or land with zero groundspeed!

Damn that used to be fun!

And Lightofmine and Diesel Dave know of which they speak!

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]

I have flown in a 200-knot jet stream over in Japan. 150 knots of wind in the jet stream is very common here in the US during the winter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've caught a 100-knot tail wind flying from Alaska to Seattle in the middle of winter. Cut the flight time from 3.5 hrs to 2.5 hours.

tygger

Enlightened

went down to the coast to wait for Hugo to make landfall. couldn't make it to the main island cause they had it blocked off. i just wanted to be there when it first started coming in and then leave. it is truly an amazing site to see such power. i wouldn't stay on the coast though cause you could be in serious trouble with the storm surge. had some friends ride a hurricane out, Fran maybe, and they were stuck on the island for about 3 days. scared them to death when the water rose to 4 feet across the whole island but lucky for them it wasn't peak high tide cause it could've easily been 8 feet. i don't think i'd be that stupid.

LightofMine

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
DieselDave said:
You could theoretically fly an aircraft backwards in a hurricane. With a aircraft indicated speed at 1000 feet of 150 and a hurricane head wind of 160 would give you a -10 ground speed while still safely inside the aircraft flight envelope. If the ground speed of the hurricane is 10 knots in your actual negative heading then you could stay in the same spot in the hurricane until you ran out of fuel, right?

Fly an aircraft backward? I have done exactly that but not in a Hurricane. In 1972 when I was taking flying lesson, one day the wind was so high my instructor was undecided as to whether we should go or not. He finally said let's go. We were at 2,000 feet, in a Cessna 150, flying directly into a head wind. He told me that he wanted me to put in fully 40 degrees of flaps and fly the plane as slow at it would go without stalling. He said I want to hear the stall warning horn but do not stall. I did that for a few minutes with the stall warning horn steady blowing. My instructor said "James, look at the ground.' "We have a negative ground speed, we are backing up". I had an indicated air speed of about 50. So that had to mean that I was flying into a head wind of greater the 50 mph. The winds at the surface was about 20 which was the maximum allowed for an instructor to give lessons at our flying club.

James

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks like people are starting to stock up on flashlights and generators in anticipation of the hurricane coming through on Thursday or Friday- (In the NY area, anyway..)

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

My friend e-mailed me to say that a radio station had commented on the need for flashlights during this event. She then said that she had called the station, given them my phone number, and told them that I had lots of lights to distribute to the locals. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Guess it would have been good to stock up on the CCom $1 lights! Try my hand at street peddling- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Believe it or not, I saw a guy on MSNBC this morning, showing his hurricane kit, which included a Headlamp. Nice one, too. This is one of their reporters. Headlamp looks like an incandescant, though I didn't see the bulb (has reflector).

Chasing hurricanes: Art thou NUTS??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

At least Isabel is down to Cat 2 now.

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK. I got some free time. Where shall I go... I am thinking DC area for now.