Fenix TK45 and L2D Q5 questions

LeifUK

Enlightened
I have a Fenix L2D Q5 but my Quark AA2 XPG R5 is much brighter even after both have been on turbo for 30 minutes. Admittedly the Quark exhausts batteries much quicker. I tested the L2D against an ITP A2, and to be honest I see little difference, and yet the latter only pushes out maybe 60 lumens. I tested in a bathroom, and outdoors. The L2D IS brighter, but not by much, and the Quark really does flatten the L2D. Oddly the L2D on turbo (~180 lumens) is oinly a bit brighter than on max (~100 lumens). My guess is that the L2D is hitting no more than 100 lumens on turbo.

So, some questions.

I routinely use the L2D and QAA2 on max for 60 minutes twice a week for cross country running, and both have had at least 50 hours runtime. Could the extended runtime on max wear out the L2D? I notice that it gets much hotter than the Quark light. Or could the poor turbo performance just be natural unit variation?

I am wondering about a TK45, but I am concerned about durability. Is the battery holder up to use when running? There will be continuous small jolts, and even a bang if I fall over. It happens. And would it cope batteries being replaced every few days. Also, would running the light on turbo for 60 minutes wear it out?

And lastly, I have read that the Fenix TK40 cannot run on turbo for more than 10 to 15 minutes. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.

LeifUK

Enlightened
The following replies were recovered from an online search cache:

Re:FenixTK45andL2DQ5questions
Written by chenko on 01-13-2011 12:24 PM GMT

The battery holder in theTK45
will rattle a bit, for sure. I just don't know how it would hold up to
extended periods of bounces, no tests like that have been performed as
fas as I know. It is a sturdy light overall, but heavy, thus it takes
greater hit damage if it falls. I believe a lighter light (lol) would be
both more comfortable and more dependable for running. I cannot stand
running holding stuff in the hands by the way.

Written by DeepBlackZeppelin on 01-13-2011 01:51 PM GMT

Hi there. I can definately confirm that the TK40 cannot be used in
its highest (turbo) mode for more than 15mins at a time. Here is a link
to BatteryJunction. Look at the the very bottom of "Features":

http://www.batteryjunction.com/fenix...lashlight.html

I have a TK45.
Terrific light. And yes, it has a plastic battery holder and it rattles
around a little inside the tube. As chenko said, I think it would be a
little bit heavy to hold whilst jogging. Regarding your other question,
the instruction manual on my TK45
says that after 45 mins of turbo mode, the flashlight will
automatically switch to the 2nd highest setting as a "security measure"
against unintentionally being left on. I'm not really sure what that
means, but it doensn't really indicate that the flashliight is in any
danger of meltdown. Furthermore, the manual says that after the 45min
switch, you can re press the turbo mode to continue.

So apparently, there is no real limit to use of the turbo mode. This is why I got the TK45 over the TK40. I understandt that the TK45 has very good heatsinking and part of that are the 3 separate heads. Hope that helps.

I got a Lumapower torch for my mum as a spare in her car. It is very
light and compact and puts out over 400 lumens. It is very bright and I
recommend that for your jogging. Here is a link to that:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/lumap...st-model2.html
Written by LeifUK on 01-13-2011 04:13 PM GMT

Thanks for the helpful replies. Looks like theTK45 could be okay. The size is fine for me, as I curently use the L2D and Quark AA2 clamped together with a Fenix bike mount. Two lights is required for safety reasons so a TK45 would need my ITP A2 in a pocket as a backup. (Try running 10km without a backup!) Alternatively I replace the L2D with a second Quark AA2, or a Fenix LD20 R4, or a Nitecore D20 R2.

Regarding the Lumapower, I prefer to avoid rechargeable lithium
batteries as I am too careless and forgetful to look after them safely.
Anyway, an 18650 torch with decent quality battery and charger would be
on a par with a TK45 pricewise.

americanpiegamer188

Newly Enlightened
I own the TK45 and it does not rattle when using 8x Eneloops as they are larger size batteries... I have not used it with any other kind.

BryDaddy

Newly Enlightened
i just got the TK45, and i can say that as an avid mtn. biker i have gone over a few jumps, and lots of bumpy dirt roads, and off curbs, and i have had no problems with the tk45, granted ive only had it for 2 weeks......but it seems solid as heck!

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you haven't already seen the Fenix TK40 torture test, you may want to take a look at http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?233856-My-Extreme-Fenix-TK40-Torture-Test. People have conjectured that the TK45 would be tougher because the three smaller heads would be more structurally sound than the one larger TK40 head, but I'm not sure whether that's true.

I've dropped mine a couple times from standing hand height onto hard surfaces and nothing has happened except scratching the TK45 slightly, but that's not a lot of examples.