Klarus X5 AAAA, claimed brightest and smallest in the world?

Pontiaker

Enlightened
I ORIGNALLY THOUGHT THIS LIGHT WAS AAA, BUT WAS CORRECTED BELOW THAT IT IS A AAAA AND SOUNDS VERY COOL!

I LEFT MY ORIGINAL POST TO HOPEFULLY START SOME TALK ABOUT THIS WHEN THE FIRST ONE HITS CUSTOMERS HANDS, ANYONE HAVE ONE YET? ALSO SOMEONE CAN POST THIER FAVORITE AND BRIGHTEST AAA LIGHT THAT THIS KLARUS LIGHT MIGHT REPLACE IN YOUR EDC LINEUP?

The aaa led lights are some of my favorite for EDC. Klarus only claims 76 lumen, I have other lights rated at high 70's to 80's lumen output and my Preon blows them away with a standard battery and with a 10440 they are WAY brighter, even brighter than several of my P6 drop ins. My brightest so far is my Streamix (the Fenix head on Streamlight clicky body) with the new digi regulated LDO1 stainless head and a 10440 battery behind it, its even brighter than my Preon with the 10440 in it, very easy to see brighter with bigger spot and more throw....

I just cant see how they would be brighter than all the other aaa lights when rated at 76 Lumen? I know that the light makers are not always accurate on the Lumen readings but..... Also it looks pretty long, I would say longer than the ITP single aaa's for sure.

So does anyone have one of these yet? Your thoughts?

Matt

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that this thread is worth reviving. :)

I have been carrying the X5 around my neck with a thin rubber cord for six weeks now:

mix502l.jpg

Its size and weight are ideal for this kind of application and the medium level with which it comes on is good for 90% of my needs. In practice I never have to change the level.

mix502.jpg

So far I am totally satisfied and I just placed an order with TacLight.co.uk for the new Mi X6 (1 x AAA) of similar design.

I did not experience the small problems that others had with the head alignment or with the o-ring and I would be interested in learning about somedody else's experience with this tiny light.

hazna

Enlightened
My emitter is relatively well aligned. I didn't have any o-ring issues at first, but with time one of them did break. It was really hard trying to get another one on, as the o-rings were so small. I broke a few in the process of trying.

Another issue I had with my one is the runtimes. I do not get 40minutes of output on high, maybe around 20 minutes or so. I emailed klarus about this, they said it will be addressed in a newer batch by changing the resistor.

Besides these points, its a nice light if you are looking for something smaller than a AAA light, that offers a respectable high mode. If you don't want to dabble in exotic rechargeable cells, it would be my recommendation.

Here is my review on it:
http://keychainpockets.blogspot.com/2011/02/klarus-mi-x5-aaaa.html

lumenati

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, for the pictures, Kilovolt.
I've been waiting a while for mine to arrive.
I should have it tomorrow or the next day.
It looks like a winner.

mjn

Newly Enlightened
Just got email confirmation that mine has been shipped! I should get it by this weekend..

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast

"brightest and smallest in the world"?

while i admit its bright and its small that statement isn't exactly correct, but that might read: "brightest-for-its-small-size in the world" seeing that there are hundreds of brighter lights and many smaller lights.

and i'm not even sure of that: is it actually brighter-and-smaller than a draco or drake R2?

GMUGNIER

Newly Enlightened
Got mine in today and It is very nice - LED is centered in the reflector and the o-ring design is different than before - very thick clear silicon oring with a different o-ring channel designed for the larger oring - very nice.

hazna

Enlightened
I believe their claim is actually 'brightest and smallest AAAA light'. As there are not many single AAAA lights available, this seems to be true.

mjn

Newly Enlightened
Just got mine! Frikkin COOL little light! I'm thinkin it'll be in my pocket every day..

I'll check out the brightness tonite when I put out the mutts..:D

Holy smoke this puppy is small!

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe their claim is actually 'brightest and smallest AAAA light'. As there are not many single AAAA lights available, this seems to be true.

excellent distinction hanza. to that statement i suspect they (and you) are correct!

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
hazna: Excellent review! :thumbsup:

I'm a fan of small flashlights also and thinking to get this one.
How is the grip? is it easy to operate one hand?

GMUGNIER

Newly Enlightened
After owning mine for a while now - I have noticed that I cannot adjust this light with one hand - It is definitely a two hander if you want to change modes - To even turn it on is difficult with one hand. - In my opinion this is good because if it were easy it would surely turn on in my pocket - As far as run times are concerned - I have not changed the battery yet and I use it on a semi-daily basis.

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input GMUNIER. I just ordered one from GoingGear.
BTW, have you lubed the threads?

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
My X5 can be switched on single handed but with some difficulty so I normally prefer to use two hands. As in all my lights I have cleaned with paper the threads and o-ring and put a light coating of silicone grease on them.

GMUGNIER

Newly Enlightened
The thread and the o-ring was lubed nicely - The LED is centered well and the overall light is awesome - The only improvement I can see is if the head, and the body were slightly knurled for a one handed operation made easier - But this is a minor issue and certainly not a problem.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only other AAAA light I can think of is the Aunoc AAAA which has been around for years. I wonder how it compares in terms of size