• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SOLD: Techjunkie's XX-Ray 3000+ Lumen regulated neutral white LED REDUCED!

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
FS: Techjunkie's XX-Ray 3000+ lumen regulated neutral white LED
Written by Techjunkie on 01-16-2011 12:32 PM GMT

My beloved show piece, the XX-Ray, is up for sale. The original build thread can be found here.

Why am I parting with the best flashlight I've ever built, the light that has adorned my signature line for years? The fact of the matter is that old TJ has fallen on hard times and as much as I love this light, it's as impractical to own as a Ferrari. It was too treasured to take any where and so it sat on the shelf its entire life.

I just took it for one last spin. After a 4-5 minute run, it could still be held comfortably by the neck, but the head was too hot to hold. During that run, the four IMR 18650 dropped from an open voltage of 4.12V each to 3.95V each. Realistically, this light is a showpiece that can be used in short bursts of a few minutes each. Total runtime from a fully charged set of four IMR 18650 is in the neighborhood of 24 minutes if my caclulations are correct. I'm just trying to set expectations here. This is a trophy light, not a bring to work every day light. (I'm not sure any job would call for 3000-3500 lumens from a handheld light for extended runs anyway.)

At it's 2.25D cut-down size, it's ~5/8" taller than a stock 2D. There are some very light marks on the head from touching other flashlights in my cabinet but otherwise it's in mint condition. Four AW IMR 18650 are recommended in order to feed the blue sharks as much input voltage as possible. Although not optimal, it can be run from four LiFePO4 18650 or a 12AA NiMH pack (like LuxLuthor once made, not in a carrier) capable of very high current. Optionally, for $10 more I can supply an additional positive contact plate, PVC sleeve and tailspring to allow use of three AW IMR 26500 cells. included required. Because of the current requirements of up to 6 Amps, LiCo chemistry 18650 should not be used (to avoid damaging cells and risking personal safety if LiCo cells malfunctioned).

Asking price is actually far below what the entire project cost.

Asking price with no batteries included, but with US shpping and insurance included is:

$300 $285 or... $320 $250 with 4 used AW IMR18650 cells*
*Note: kapton tape has been applied where cell shrink was carelessly nicked while loading
Sold for $220 without the cells and instructions to use only 4*AW IMR 18650 cells
Shipped 4/1/2011 via USPS international priority with insurance
International shipping and insurance will cost extra and would be calculated based on destination.

Method of payment limited exclusively to PayPal to techjunkie (at) iname (dot) com, or to cash if transaction made locally in person.

First I'll take it claims it, but funds are required within a week or it goes to the next person in line.

Some pics:

TheXX-Ray.jpg

TheXX-Rayopen.jpg

BusinessEnd.jpg

Re: FS: Techjunkie's XX-Ray 3000+ Lumen regulated neutral white LED
Written by vestureofblood on 01-17-2011 07:27 PM GMT

Hi TJ,

Sorry to hear about your financial situation. Bump for a valuable member with many forum contributions, and a great light.

Written by Hill on 01-17-2011 08:29 PM GMT

+1 for a great modder and teacher.

TJ, I've enjoyed your MCE madness thread followed by the plunge into SST mods. Was hoping to see some of those old lights be revived with multi XM-L builds, but perhaps that will have to wait for another day...

Good luck with your sale. I'm sure she'll find a good home.

Written by Techjunkie on 01-21-2011 07:34 PM GMT

VoB, Hill, thanks very much for the kind words.
Written by Techjunkie on 01-26-2011 05:26 AM GMT

It occurred to me this morning that the dimensions and power requirements would also allow the use of three AW 26500 IMR cells as a power source. If compatibility with that cell configuration is requested, then for an additional $10 I can create a positive contact plate, PVC sleeve and tailspring, all designed to be easily interchangeable by the owner.
Written by Techjunkie on 01-27-2011 09:15 AM GMT

I'm replying to an unnamed prospective buyer's PM here because I think the information in the response would benefit everyone else reading this thread as well:

I don't have a way to measure Lux. I can only say that it is a fantastically bright flood light and that it has some good throw by brute power. LED lumens of 5 MC-E at 3A are more like 3500 than 3000, but lumens need to be focused to produce high lux at a distance. Each reflector cavity is relatively small for harnessing the light from a giant MC-E (hence the flood effect) but the SMO finish does a much better job than MOP of the same size does. I tried to counteract the donut effect of putting MC-E in SMO by varying the rotational position of each MC-E so their "+" wouldn't align with each other and sitting the LED slightly below the focal point of the reflector. I didn't take the same precaution when I built the LED USL and the improvement of the XX-Ray over the LED USL is drastic.

As far as reliability goes, I can't compare to a Legion II, I've never owned one. I will say this though - Wayne's Blue Shark drivers are expensive for a reason - quality of design and performance tested. They are not without their weaknesses - there's no reverse current protection if you load the batteries backward (I learned that the hard way) and they will reduce their output if not heatsinked sufficiently. I've read the "questions about the shark" thread thoroughly and there's lots of evidence there of blue sharks taking major abuse without failing. Several owners have run them hot enough to malfunction but they did not fail, and performed fine after they were heatsinked properly. I'm confident that my implementation has ample heatsinking. After five minutes unheld, standing on its tail, I couldn't bare to touch the head of the XX-Ray for more than a few seconds, but the output was not reduced. I'm also confident of the construction. The XX-Ray survived an accidental drop test that resulted in only the tail cap needing to be replaced to restore its beauty (it has been).

If you were to own the XX-Ray, keep the batteries charged, and not run it for more than 5 minutes at a time, I think it would serve you well for years.

Written by mvyrmnd on 01-27-2011 04:22 PM GMT

I really love this light!

I'm on call this weekend, and if the overtime gods smile upon me, I think I'll grab it.

I guess we'll all find out on monday :)
Written by Techjunkie on 01-31-2011 09:08 PM GMT

Price drop bump / new option bump

Now offering light alone with price reduced to $285 or new option... with 4 used AW IMR18650 cells for $320. Cells have some nicks in the shrink which have been bandaged with kapton tape.

If it helps sell it, I can also offer a new UltraFire WF-188 battery charger for an additional $15. (Charger and cells available with purchase of light only.)

Written by mvyrmnd on 01-31-2011 10:04 PM GMT

Unfortunately I was stuck down with food poisoning over the weekend and didn't earn any overtime. I just can't afford this at the moment :( I've been admiring this light since I joined CPF...

Last edited:

Techjunkie

Enlightened
Re: FS: Techjunkie's XX-Ray 3000+ Lumen regulated neutral white LED REDUCED!

Transmission on my car went out, hot water heater broke, fence gate blew off and the new insurance carrier is requiring me to fix a few things I'd been putting off 'til I got around to it. Long story short - I can really use the dough right now, so here's the deal... Until I either come to my senses or win Publisher's Clearing house, the XX-Ray is going up for sale with batteries included for the new price in post #1.

I realize that this is a completely impractical light that would have much higher resale value had I installed the damn Remora board when I built it, but there's nothing I can do about that now. They way I see it, if people are willing to spend as much on a hotwire that only lasts 5 minutes, then why not on an LED "hotwire" that lasts for many times that but shouldn't be left on for more than 5 at a time? (Isn't that slightly more practical?)

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS: Techjunkie's XX-Ray 3000+ Lumen regulated neutral white LED REDUCED!

OK. This light has sat here for 2 months, and no one has jumped on it. It must be fate :D

:takeit: as per PM.

I'll send payment later today

Thanks!

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SPF: Techjunkie's XX-Ray 3000+ Lumen regulated neutral white LED REDUCED!

:paypal:

Techjunkie

Enlightened

Payment received. I've replied to your PM with information about shipping and I'll send you another when I have a tracking number.

Thanks, and congratulations on the purchase.

Just a reminder, when you receive/use it, please feed it four fully charged AW IMR 18650 cells. Never mix cells of different voltage or type. (That should go without saying.)

Techjunkie

Enlightened
Shipped it today via USPS international priority mail + insurance. Added tracking number to PayPal transaction. Let me know if you don't receive the email from PayPal. Thanks again.

Also, no matter how many times I try edit-->go advanced, I can't get the title of the OP to change from SPF:... to SOLD:... Possibly, the thread is too old to allow a title change.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The wait is killing me! USPS says it left the US on the 4th. 10 days later and it's still not in Australia. :mecry:

Techjunkie

Enlightened
The wait is killing me! USPS says it left the US on the 4th. 10 days later and it's still not in Australia. :mecry:

I've never tracked a USPS package to AUS before, so I don't know if USPS will receive electronic tracking updates from Aussie post. When I order stuff via registered mail from HK, HK-Post loses track of the item after it leaves, but the same tracking number works in USPS to track its progress in the US. Try entering the USPS tracking number in Aussie post tracking (remove the spaces) and hopefully you'll be able to see when it has been received by them and on its way to you. I insured the package for $299 USD, so if it gets lost in transit, we're both covered.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have every faith that it will arrive safe and sound, I'm just getting impatient!

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw that the other day. It would have been delivered on Good Friday, if it weren't Good Friday...

I'll get it on Wednesday once all the public holidays are over.

I still can't wait!