Do you guys think Fenix would come out with a LD20 S2 any time soon?

s2ftw

Newly Enlightened
+1

Just looked at some reviews of the Quark AA2 with S2, but apparently the tactical version has some quirks (online reviews: a bright flash when turning moonlight on, and an overly exposed clicky) and I think the Fenix accessories seem better. Although some places seem to have the LD20 out of stock, sign of a possible refresh??

Anyone keeping track of the intervals Fenix updates this model (or some inside info)?

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Fenix cares about beam quality instead of rushing the latest bin to the market, the answer is no. For marginal improvement in brightness, with the current S2s you end up with a pretty putrid green tint.

I have an AA2 quark tactical S2 and an AA regular S2. Both have really green tints - especially when not set on turbo.

Fluffy Ops

Newly Enlightened
+1

Just looked at some reviews of the Quark AA2 with S2, but apparently the tactical version has some quirks (online reviews: a bright flash when turning moonlight on, and an overly exposed clicky) and I think the Fenix accessories seem better. Although some places seem to have the LD20 out of stock, sign of a possible refresh??

Anyone keeping track of the intervals Fenix updates this model (or some inside info)?

I think that Fenix will not come out with S2 versions of its LD20. If they are looking to produce an imporved model, they will probably use the XM-L LED.

As for the Quark S2s, the green tints are actually personal preference: they are more obvious indoors but fit in appropriately outdoors. The beam colour is not ugly, it is just different, IMO.

I don't want to seem like a Quark fan but I must correct some facts stated by s2ftw (as quoted):

As a general statement, I wouldn't say Fenix accessories are better. Some may be, but others are not (e.g. its holster compared with 4Sevens'). Both companies have their strengths.

I agree that the preflash issue of quarks may irritate some but it is only distractingly noticeable on the Tactical versions. I own a Regular UI version and it is not obvious unless you specifically look for it.

s2ftw

Newly Enlightened
I think that Fenix will not come out with S2 versions of its LD20. If they are looking to produce an imporved model, they will probably use the XM-L LED.

As for the Quark S2s, the green tints are actually personal preference: they are more obvious indoors but fit in appropriately outdoors. The beam colour is not ugly, it is just different, IMO.

I don't want to seem like a Quark fan but I must correct some facts stated by s2ftw (as quoted):

As a general statement, I wouldn't say Fenix accessories are better. Some may be, but others are not (e.g. its holster compared with 4Sevens'). Both companies have their strengths.

I agree that the preflash issue of quarks may irritate some but it is only distractingly noticeable on the Tactical versions. I own a Regular UI version and it is not obvious unless you specifically look for it.

Good point, xm-l would be nice:) Although if they went with the s2, i would expect them to be more picky about the tint bin.

As for 4sevens holsters, they are superior, but I'm more of a clip guy. The fenix headstrap is alot nicer, and the diffusers too. Also, in the end, the 4sevens holster fits an ld20 better than most of the fenix accessories would fit the quark. The nice thing 4sevens has is the prism, but I'm not too keen on the extra light loss for the 90 degree bend. Comes down to personal priorities.

Latest posts