Newbie considers doing something with a couple XM-Ls

Z

z_Colorblend

One day I felt like building something fun. i decided it would be something that was bright so I started googling for LEDs, I had seen a Led Lenser H7 head torch and thought it was cool as Cool itself and now I want something with even more punch.

The H7 is 170 lumens and the H14 is 210(?) lumens but that is as far as I know the strongest single-led headlamp so I dropped by Kaidomain and ordered some stuff, 2 T6 XM-ls and what seems to be a shameless copy of the H7 http://kaidomain.com/ProductDetails....roductId=10755 . The idea was conceived late one night and not thought through very much, but I intend to tear the lamp apart and try to fit the XML in there and see how much oomph that adds to it if it is possible. I am new to this and I know nothing yet of the effect of the driver or if heat will become a problem for example but I guess it will show.

I was also thinking about getting a ridiculously powerful flashlight, thousands and thousands of lumens. For example 5 XM-ls on a star board and run them on maximum, 3 amps per led. I guess this will leave me with a 50 watt application with everything that comes with that. I suppose any heatsink inside a concealed flashlight would be unsufficient but I was thinking about for example:

-Heatsink being a solid cylinder of copper, quite thick that is perfectly fit inside the flashlight chassi thereby transporting heat to the exterior, making more or less the entire flashlight a heatsink.

-A spacey flashlight assembly with room for a sturdy heatsink and also a processor fan. A normal CPU cooling construction, this will have to be open in order to let air in and out of the construction.

Without knowing any details, what would I need to power a LED application that gobbles up 50 watts on 15 amperes? As in: how many batteries, and which ones?

As you are almost done chuckling by now I take the opportunity to thank you for this great, interesting forum and also for the extensive and helpful replies you are about to post in your attempts to enlighten the noob. Thank you very much. :)