I saw a dog get hit by a car

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last week Monday (1-10-11) I was walking my Chocolate Lab, Nikki. It was a beautiful, sunny Monday afternoon so we went for a nice long walk, stopped on the dock to look at the water and then headed for home. About a half a block from my house I stopped to cross a fairly busy street. Then I saw a dog across the street and 3 houses down running along the front of the houses and coming my way. It got up to the third house directly across the street from where I was standing and turned left to run down the driveway. There are fences that blocked his path and that's why he ran the way he did. The fences are more for decoration and are not enclosed on all sides. So the dog is headed straight for us and I saw cars coming but it happened so fast I could do nothing to stop it. As soon as he ran into the street a car hit him and dragged him about 20-30 feet before it could stop. The dog was screaming in pain and I bent down to look and I could see it was pinned under the front passenger wheel and I was yelling at the driver to back up! I was still on the other side of the street. Finally after what seemed like an eternity, she backed up off of the dog and he actually got up and ran in the same direction he came from. I told the driver to pull over and I called the police.

In the meantime, someone that lives in the house the dog came from came over and I started yelling at him because the dog got out and got hit and this young punk had no facial expression, no emotion, NOTHING. He told us the dog belonged to his grandfather who died a month and a half ago and the dog is crazy and jumps the fence. He also said he was trying to find a place for the dog to go but didnt want to take it to the pound. (oh, how caring, right!) So let it get out and get hit by a car. We were told that someone from the house it came from took it to the vet ER and it was put to sleep from its injuries. We made a police report. The lady that hit the dog had some minor damage to her car. (Mercedes) Yes, she was more concerned about the dog than the supposed owner was. He even made a comment well now I dont have to find it a home. What an irresponsible a$$hole in my opinion. The whole incident could have been avoided. The lady who hit the dog probably saved my dogs life and saved me from having to harm that dog. If the dog would have made it across the street and attacked my dog I would have killed it. I carry a bat, mace and 2 knives(easily accessible) on me when I walk my dog. (and yes, 2 flashlights of course!) But my question is why should I be put into that position because of irresponsible dog owners???!!! I dont want to have to kill someones dog!:shakehead

I have lived in my neighborhood for a little over 3 years. (since I moved to Florida) I walk my dog 2 times a day, sometimes 3 times unless it is pouring down rain. In that time I have had well over 20 encounters with dogs. I always carry knives and mace and about 3 weeks ago I started carrying a bat. I have only used it once so far-a dog backed off when I threatened it with the bat. I am tired of being stressed out every day when I go out for a walk. I've had to call the police and the county animal control several times. Animal control does come out and talk to the owners of some of the dogs I have had problems with and it usually helps. (temporarily) One LEO told me I can use whatever means nessessary to protect myself and my dog from being injured. So, I am purchasing (after much thought and research) an 800,000 volt stun baton and I will use it if I am forced to do so. I feel like I am being left with no choice....