M3 fends off uninvited guest late at night

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
We call it bump in the night but really this started out as a rustle that ended with an uninvited intruder in the house. Both lights and force were used.

I heard a rustle around 9:30 in the evening, but I thought it was just something being moved around. I listened but didn't hear it again. Well, once-off noises happen in urban environments. People, things move around.

Later that night, the rustle returns - a scratching sound. It's not a good sound, and it's quite alarming. It's 11pm at night, why is there a scratching sound very near me? I grab one of my bump-in-the-night lights - my Surefire M3, now with LumensFactory P7 turbohead, and whip around in the direction of the noise.

There it is - in the air conditioning vent..

..a cockroach!

I would never have spotted it as the vents are dark (obviously), but the beam of the P7 cut straight into the vents and exposed the cockroach making the noise! Not only that, it is probably contaminating the air too!

Not acceptable.. I study the vermin for a while with the P7 while figuring out how I'm supposed to solve the problem. Since it is in a HVAC vent, 'chemical weapons' are unacceptable as I would probably suffer worse from the after-effects than it would from the immediate effects.

I ended up shoving a flyswat into the vent, which panicked the cockroach and caused it to jump out of the vent (at me, unfortunately), hitting the floor in the process, whereupon lethal force was used to end the engagement, one hand on the M3 and one hand on the flyswat. I do not know if I used the proper CombatGrip technique, in fact I'm not sure WHAT grip I used with the light in my left hand as I pounded the crap out of the bugger with the swat in my right. It was actually very much a one-shot-stop and the first hit put the cockroach out of action.. follow up hits were used to ensure it would never trespass on my property ever again. The body was disposed of via the sewerage system thereafter. :p

I doubt I'd have ever found the intruder without powerful lights... the primitive torches in my pre-CPF life certainly would not have sufficed.

:)

PS: No, I have no delusions of becoming a 'chairborne commando'. Just thought you'd enjoy a humorous 'tacti-cool' take on the story :)