Decided 6p, but 6p modded or HDS Rotary/200lm Clicky!?

Z

z_tjmcmahon

So I had posted a question earlier about getting a 6P or G2x. I settled on the 6P but then had another question I thought I'd pose. I figure the only point in getting a 6P is to mod it up. Then I started adding it up.

A 6P, although I might have a store credit at LL Bean, but for arguments sake, is listed at $89 on their website. To get it bored out so it'll fit 18650's would cost $17+shipping, so lets say $20. To get a McClicky TailSwitch is about another $22. then a Malkoff drop in is $68.

Adding these up we get $197. So at this price point, would you rather have an HDS 200LM Clicky or Rotary? Or this Modded 6P with maybe 2 modes? What do you guys think?

I feel like these things never end but I only have so much money and want the best stuff. Ill probably end up with all of it anyways but still. Its worth discussing I think.

I currently have a Quark Turbo 123x2 (throwy), Zebralight SC60 (floody), Preon Revo (keychain), and Maglite 2C I plan on dropping a Malkoff into, but haven't yet.

I feel like a Meth addict. Need my next fix.

dirtech

Enlightened
If it were me I'd get a rotary. Having a nice host is good though if you don't have one, but you can get one cheaper that 89. Think I got a used C2 for cheaper.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went with the rotary and I recommend it. Now I am looking at Elzetta hosts since they are made to fit the Malkoffs perfectly. If I go this route I'll order the M61 separately and all of the parts on the Elzetta site. The Elzettas don't take 18650s either, but 17670s will work. Unfortunately I won't be getting any lights anytime soon.

notsobrite

Newly Enlightened
i don't have an hds-yet- but those who do swear by them. so if i was starting out and had $200 to spend on a light, i'd get that and a solarforce L2 for a cheap, quality, modding machine. i think they can be bought for ~$25 w/drop in, so for the low, low price of only $225 you have the hds and a 6p clone. but that's just me, and i do tend to post things in the wrong forum:duh2::duh2:

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would get the rotary, just because I have too many 6Ps and Malkoffs :D - But if I had to choose one, I'd go with the 6P for ease of customization and upgrading. I've owned a few HDS/Novatac/Ra lights in my lifetime and the thing about them that bugs the crap out of me is my need to have the latest and greatest incarnation of the light... So I end up spending
entirely too much money because it seems like a new model comes out very few months that trumps the last one... I still miss each and every one that I've traded off or sold, though. After all my years of light purchasing, I'm finally finding it extremely difficult to pull the trigger on any turnkey, non-easily-upgradable light. It'll be awesome for exactly 3 months before they introduce the new and improved model or an even better light from another company comes out, rendering your once shiny new toy a relic. I keep very few old lights in my collection, most notably my Arc-AAA which I will never part with... But how many lights these days will still have the following of the Arc-AAA in 6-7 years or more? I imagine not many, and most of them will start with an S and end in a E with UREFIR in between.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I would prefer the 6P given your choices because I like the option of using the latest LED for much more output than the Clicky can provide. I also prefer 18650 or 2 X CR123 to 1 X CR123. I do agree with notsobrite about saving money by purchasing the Solarforce L2p that is already bored but I would put the price difference into a really high quality high output P60 like Malkoff M91 with 2 X IMR18350 or one of the Oveready triple drop ins. I admit to being biased toward high output flashlights. I don't like expensive flashlights with only average output by today's standards.