Surefire 9N vs. Streamlight Stinger

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I am interested in purchasing either a Surefire 9N or a Streamlight Stinger and wanted some opinions and comparisons from those that have owned either one or both. Also, I was curious about which one is brighter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

our department issues a stinger. i bought a surefire 8nx. i like the fact the surefire has two batteries (one is always charged) and that the light is fixed focus and appears brighter. i also like the fact it charges in an hour or so and the stinger is 10!. i know you can buy a fast stinger charger, but shouldnt it include one??

WillnTex

Newly Enlightened
If you don't mind spending the extra money get the Sure Fire it is a much brighter light. The only advantage to the stinger is the price. You might check around first before buying since the new version should be available soon if not already.

JoeyL

Enlightened
I have a 9N (about 7-8 yrs old) but no Streamlights. At the time it was one of the better rechargeable lights I could find. I knew very little of the Sure-Fire history. It turns out it was probably the best.

After many years of regular use, it is still one of my favorite lights. The rechargable part is good, due to the constant steady use. I'm on my 3rd battery (they last about 4 years then they hold less and less charge.) It's a little heavy compared to the other Sure-Fires. The main lamp is pretty bright and flawless (no rings nor shadows). The secondary light is for reading things and close up work, but it casts a bunch of rings and lines, I guess because it is off center from the reflector.

As a side point, since I use the small lamp more often, it burns out faster. I replaced it with a white LED and I think this is so great that when I need to put in a new lamp fixture, I will yank out the small lumen lamp and put in another LED. It's bright, has no shadows, and the battery will power it for over 10 hours on a charge.

One disadvantage is that when one bulb burns out, you need to replace both, as they come connected in one assembly.

Anyway, if I lost this one, would I buy another? Yes, but it would probably be the new model (9AX or 9AN).

Hope that helps! Let me know if I can answer anything else.

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MCInfantry:
our department issues a stinger. i bought a surefire 8nx. i like the fact the surefire has two batteries (one is always charged) and that the light is fixed focus and appears brighter. i also like the fact it charges in an hour or so and the stinger is 10!. i know you can buy a fast stinger charger, but shouldnt it include one??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your department is shelling out the big bux on your behalf. The fast charger is not "standard-issue" with the 8X, but it is an option, and can be ordered with the 8X. It's just that the fast-charge package costs more than the normal-charge package, same as with the Stinger.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The SureFire MCInfantry is referring to is the new SureFire 8NX and not the Classic 8X.

I think you'll find that the new 8NX and 8AX both come with Fast Chargers and two batteries as Standard.

And the prices for the 8NX especially are a bargin! The 8NX can be yours online for about $95, whilst the same retailer will charge $131 for the StingerXT and Faster charger and 2nd battery.

I compare the Polymer 8NX with the StingerXT because of it's TailCap switch. You save $10 buying the PolyStinger, but loose the most vital feature - the TailCap switch.

Al

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:
The SureFire MCInfantry is referring to is the new SureFire 8NX and not the Classic 8X.

I think you'll find that the new 8NX and 8AX both come with Fast Chargers and two batteries as Standard.

Al
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. Oops! I missed that. Sorry.
2. That would, indeed, match what SureFire puts in their catalog.

Size15's

Flashaholic
No worries!

Anyone know some shop in the UK I can demo my SureFires against StreamLight's range?

Anyone know anything about British Climate since 1050 - 1650?

Please?!!!!!!!

Al

Size15's

Flashaholic
Not one to go off topic, but

The winters were colder and wetter than the summers (!)

The early 1400s were dreadful.... 1407/8 are the worse winters ever recorded.

Al

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mostly sunny unless there were clouds in which case it sometimes rained unless it was cold...then it snowed...hope this helps
smile.gif

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the Stinger and the 9N. I like the 9N better for most things. The beam is uniform and at close distances it is brighter. The Stinger has the advantage of a lower price, cheaper bulbs, spare bulb in tailcap, and if you focus it as tight as it will go you can reach out a little farther into the shadows then the 9N, but it's not much. However at normal distances you'll probably use a flashlight the 9N will be a better choice since it will light up a larger area without a dark spot in the middle, and it will be brighter overall.
Whichever one you get, make sure you get the fast charger. I think it's standard with the SureFire now, and optional with the Stinger.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Yep!

The SureFire 9AN comes with Rapid Smart Charger, and two batteries.

The 9AN uses the same battery (B90)and charger (CN400) as the 8NX & 8AX which allows for interchangeability.

The 9AN is more expensive than the Stinger, but it offers more light output, a secondary low output/long runtime lamp, and like the 8AX comes in the toughest available body - T8 Aluminium with Military Level III Hard Anodisation and features optically coated tempered Pyrex for a heat and scratch resistant lens.

The Beam quality is of course SureFire, And SureFire have the best beams in the business.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I have been alternativly carrying 2 9N's for over a year. I have or have owned;

Original Kel-Lite (still have it too!)
Maglight rechargable (sold it)
Streamlight; 20XL, 35XL, Stinger (2 ea), Ultra stinger
Surefire 6P (really old, with tape switch), 2 each 9N's
Pelican; M-11, M-9

I carry one 9N on my belt and leave one in my truck parked at work. I also keep a spare lamp module in the glove box in my truck.

I have ordered a 10x from BrightGuy, but as I am sure you know it is back ordered.

I always have a light on my belt and a second light,which I refer to as my "main battle light" in my bag on the passenger seat. The belt light is for all the time. The main battle light is for when I KNOW I am going to need a strong light. Up until about a month ago, that roll was filled by the SL-35XL (what a beast!). It never failed me, but it really is BIG and heavy, also rather unwieldy.

About a month ago I bought a Streamlight Ultra Stinger. Very nice! I couldn't believe the advertising (that it pumped out 75,000 cp compared to my 35XL's 40,000). Well it is true. I do think that the 35 puts out more overall light, but in my case this is not necessarily the best answer.

When I am up close, I use the 9N, or I can switch to flood on the Ultra Stinger (which is almost too bright, crappy beam pattern). But when I need some distance (outdoor searchs, etc) I can tighten the beam on the Ultra Stinger and REALLY reach out there, even farther than the 35XL (nice beam pattern).

The only concern I have with the Ultra is the lens on the one I got was fogged slightly on the INSIDE. I couldn't get the darn thing off! I had to use a Q-tip from the bulb side. I called Streamlight and they said I would need a special tool to get the lens out. My question was, "okay what happens when the bulb blows up and I have all that gunk in there". They said "Send it in and we will clean it". Hmmmm...

The other concern I have is mostly for LEO's, I haven't found a traffic wand that fits it.

Otherwise, it is a keeper. Or at least till I can get my hands on a 10x.

Comparing the 9N to the regular Stringer is not even in the same leage.

At present, the best combination I have come up with is a 9N on my belt, an Ultra Stinger in the car and a Photon II in my pocket.

Also I just discovered this board. I didn't know I shared the flashlight afliction with so many! Util now I thought I was an isolated CASE.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Thanks for your post.
We are few, but we shine out from the masses...

So am I right in thinking then that the SL35X puts out more light in a wider beam then the UltraStinger [UltraS] on it's tightest focus?

But the UltraS is smaller?
Is the Reflector diameter smaller too?

I'm assuming that the UltraS is not as bright as the SureFire M6, but it can be focused to illuminate further down-range?

Still, the UltraS beam quality is not SureFire quality...

Nevermind.

Al

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:
Thanks for your post.
We are few, but we shine out from the masses...

So am I right in thinking then that the SL35X puts out more light in a wider beam then the UltraStinger [UltraS] on it's tightest focus?

But the UltraS is smaller?
Is the Reflector diameter smaller too?

I'm assuming that the UltraS is not as bright as the SureFire M6, but it can be focused to illuminate further down-range?

Still, the UltraS beam quality is not SureFire quality...

Al
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The UltraS has a whiter light. Because it can focus, its light has a longer effective distance. It is the first focusable light I have ever had that I actually NEED to focus to a flood when I am using it at closer distances. It would otherwise be too bright.

The head diameter is just slightly larger than a Mag light and a bit smaller than the SL series. Consequently the traffic wands for both won't fit on the UltraS.

I don't have the M6 so I can't say. I really can't afford the 123 batteries. I use my lights everyday and must have rechargables.

The only flashlight I use that has non-rechargable batteries is my old 6P. It is strapped on top of my camera flash unit and is equiped with a tape switch. I use it during night photography. It helps to light things up for focusing and composition.

I have never been let down by Streamlights, or Surefires, quality. Though I will say that the M series of Surefires look very durable.

On the other hand, I still have my original Kel-Lite which has been going for over 20 years. Other than bulbs, batteries, and the occasional lens, I have never had any of the Surefire or Streamlight flashlights break.

Tim Flanagan

Newly Enlightened
FYI, Redux.

At the moment Streamlight is FAR behind in production of the Ultra Stinger. As it stands now, they are only getting a couple of dozen out per week (no idea why), with most going to distributors. Once they get to these distributors, the backorders are filled on a first-placed, first-shipped basis. This means that it'll probably be well into the summer before these actually start hitting their shipping "stride" and are readily available.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

FYI--re: Ultrastinger sale NOT at Botach:

"..Dear Sir/Madam,
We would like to apologize that the items that you have ordered have run out of stock. Unfortunately we are not allowing back orders as of the moment. This order shall be cancelled.
It might take around 2-3 weeks before we get the next shipment for the items that you have ordered. Please order with us again. You can check availability via calling us at 800-867-7999, email or using the Live Help option in our website.
Thank you and we look forward in doing business with you in the near future.
Botach Tactical ..."
...so where do I go now? I think I'll go check the latest posts on the cpf 'group buy' plans...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Update on Ultrastinger availability;
Gary at Arizona Gun Runner emailed me this morning that they were in stock and to place my order, which I did.