What do you think of TV evangelists?

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
I'm not a religous person and I find these modern day salesmen to be highly entertaining but insulting in the most vile way because they are selling something that folks want - eternal life.

I'm watching Robert Tilden right now and he was shamed out of the national spotlight several years ago. He seemingly spends more time asking for "Faith Gifts" than anything else.

Benny Hinn was also debunked a few months ago by NBC. I saw him in a local store a couple of months ago and he certainly has a 'tude about him. And by the way, the hair is real but it's plugs and transplants. I've never figured out why the good Lord deemed Benny to heal by pushing on someone's head causing them to fall backwards.

Jimmy Swaggert, Jim and Tammy Baker, all the "faith" healings...

I think that people who contribute to these weasels certainly deserve some scorn for being rather naive and clueless but I also think that the people who are hustling, er, um...preaching the Gospel, are the real villans.

Put a copy of the King James in someone's hand and presto! you too can be a TV evangelist.

I'm going to start the Church of Jeff and I encourage all of you to make a faith donation to me so I can spread the word. This all ties into flashlights because I'm thinking of selling Arc AAA as "Maranatha" lights and giving away MMs as "Hallelujah" lights if you make a sufficient faith offering. Signs of giving enough will follow if you give, not until it hurts, but until you're numb and it feels good. And by the way, I, as the guru of what's good, will tell you when you given enough because I've got this red phone connection. Trust me on this.

I think I'll sell rings and braclets with the acronym WWJD-What Would Jeff Do? Apparently I already have many followers.

Geeez..

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, they get to me too. For me, the answer is in the advice given me by a wise advisor a while back when asked, "What do you do about politicians." His answered, "Forgive them." That's a tough assignment.

hula

Newly Enlightened
The first time I saw one was when I was in Australia where they have them on very early morning. I don't know what was worse them or the saps in the audience. Glad we don't get em here at home.
Just reminded me of a quite disturbing programme I saw. It started with a shot of a group seen at shoulder height. These people were singing there own version of a christian hymn. The camera then panned out and down to reveal this group armed to the teeth. There were all manner of weapons on show and little children were there right amongst them. The programme showed the large camp they occupied complete with fortifications and ammo stores all of which made the Wako cult seem distinctly amateur. They were some sort of white supremetists/christian fanatics.
I think groups like this show how much influence can be placed on the weak minded and TV evangelists are those who practice it.

Hula.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
My view: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I knew a coupla guys who worked their way into some sessions for their senior college thesis. (To some they were not admitted because it was somehow obvious they weren't the sucker type.) They confirmed that the healings are staged, but the poor giving away their last money with all hope to those scumbuckets, unfortunately that's for real.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robert tilden was removed from public view by the State of Texas, he did time in prison for his crap.

I remember a 60 mins show where they were able to get his trash, they found thousands of envelopes with requests from viewers to pray for them, the checks were removed, letters unread.

GregR

Tomas

Banned
hicks.jpg

"Don't you go badmouthin' them
good ol' boys on th' TV now!"

d'mo

Enlightened
Oy! Those guys make me nuts!

Here's the prophecy:

Isaiah 1:23 Thy princes are faithless, companions of thieves: they all love bribes, they run after rewards. They judge not for the fatherless: and the widow's cause cometh not in to them.

Here's the reward:

Matthew 6:1 "Make certain you do not perform your religious duties in public so that people will see what you do. If you do these things publicly, you will not have any reward from your Father in heaven.

LED-FX

Enlightened
Got a soft spot for Oral Roberts as he inspired the name for one of my all time favourite musicians MC 900ft Jesus.

But, really, Oral and his nylon wig, wringing hands and bizarre oration gives me the creeps.

Adam

LukeK

Enlightened
I love watching Benny Hinn -- his dog and pony show absolutely cracks me up. However the flip side to that is I find it very sad that people take him seriously. Personally I entirely disagree with the televangelists and overly charismatic folks in general and with most everything they believe. The 'Word of Faith' movement is (again in my opinion) very false and unbiblical.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I try not to snicker when I occasionally see these pitchmen selling tickets to heaven.

Even the right reverend Pat Robertson had to kick Robert Tilton off of the CBN network.

LightofMine

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Jeff said:
I'm going to start the Church of Jeff and I encourage all of you to make a faith donation to me so I can spread the word. This all ties into flashlights because I'm thinking of selling Arc AAA as "Maranatha" lights and giving away MMs as "Hallelujah" lights if you make a sufficient faith offering. Signs of giving enough will follow if you give, not until it hurts, but until you're numb and it feels good. And by the way, I, as the guru of what's good, will tell you when you given enough because I've got this red phone connection. Trust me on this.

I think I'll sell rings and braclets with the acronym WWJD-What Would Jeff Do? Apparently I already have many followers.

Hahahahahhahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahaha
hhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahah ROTFLMAO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jeff your are going to need an assistant to help you count and carry all the loot (er I mean offerings). Can I be your assistant???? PLEASE, OH PLEASE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I will work for just 15% /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James

GeoffChan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
hula said:
The first time I saw one was when I was in Australia where they have them on very early morning. I don't know what was worse them or the saps in the audience. Glad we don't get em here at home.

Hula.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Hula,
What were you doing up watching TV around 4 am on a Sunday morning?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Geoff

RevDavid

Enlightened
People that peddle the Word of God to fleece the flock are fools. They mock God, and they will pay for it.

Just keep in mind that there are also some very sincere and honest servants of God that also evangelize on television. You are all painting with a very broad brush. There is a huge difference between someone who is preaching the Word, and someone who is telling people they can buy God's favor. Fortunately, it looks like most of you will not be fooled by the one who seeks only to enrich himself. Don't be fooled by anyone who tells you that Christianity is bad, because men who pretend to be Christians are bad.

David <><

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
PT Barnum - "There's a sucker born every minute" (and production is up).

People nearly always believe what they want to believe regardless of the evidence to the contrary. For the most part, they lack the will (and perhaps the ability), to apply the simple logic and reason that would deny these fools an audience.

A noted professor of psychology at Yale once commented that just 1% of the human population is responsible for 99% of all human progress. He placed a premium on logic and reason, he had a very low opinion of law students.

Always strive to be among the 1% who can think and make a difference.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
I agree there's a lot of rubbish out there, but there is a heck of a lot of good too! We in England do not have ready access to Christian TV or Radio unless you sign up for Sky (Which puts more money into Murdoch's pockets!).
Meanwhile there is too much trash on the secular channels. All this "reality TV" such as Big Brother and Fame academy, being broadcast on numerous digital and analogue channels.
We pay good licence fee for this!
I watch the GOD channel and Revelation TV when I go to my parents... mainly to catch up with the Christian contemporary music scene!