Source for 1-mode 2.4-3A 17mm driver for XM-L?

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a 17mm single mode driver for an XM-L P60. I'd like a high output driver, but I'm a bit flexible here. But it does need to be 17mm or smaller and it does need to be single mode.

Optimal voltage would be 3.7 - 12V, but If I can't have that, 3.7 - 8.4V would be my second choice, and 3.7 - 6V my third.

What are my options?

Thanks,

-john

LilKevin715

Enlightened
For 2-3A drive current and 17mm max diameter your pretty much limited to AMC7135 linear regulators (Link). There are buck converters with 2-3A output range, but they are 19mm in diameter (KD buck , Shark buck). The highest output for a 17mm buck converter that I have seen is ~1.5A.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a 17mm single mode driver for an XM-L P60. I'd like a high output driver, but I'm a bit flexible here. But it does need to be 17mm or smaller and it does need to be single mode.

Optimal voltage would be 3.7 - 12V, but If I can't have that, 3.7 - 8.4V would be my second choice, and 3.7 - 6V my third.

What are my options?

If the overall height is within your specifications, you can build a parallel stack of 3 x SOB1000 to make a 14mm diam, 3A buck driver. However, I think you will have a hard time meeting your 3.7V lower limit with any of the usual flashlight buck drivers regardless of diameter. The XM-L datasheet says that Vf is 3.35V at 3A drive. That means you need a driver that has a voltage overhead of less than 0.35V to reach regulation. When you factor in real-world parasitic resistances in the flashlight, the driver's voltage overhead will have to be a lot less than 0.35V. I don't think such a driver exists (other than the LDO linear regulators like the 7135-based drivers, but that will give you your third choice voltage range). If you can relax your lower voltage limit to perhaps something like 4.5V, I think the triple SOB1000 stack will meet your needs.

Last edited:

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
I can really recommend these ebay pwm drivers, which are sold for ~2$, the diameter is perfect with 17mm ;) ebay # is 290516945697 but these are not 1-mode, they have 5 modes. so it doens't make sense, if you set the led to case gnd instead of driver gnd, you run the led directly.

Last edited: