The Kroll switch -- where does it come from?

avusblue

Enlightened
I've got Krolls galore -- on Opalec MiniMags, Arc LS's, McLux, and some spares. I think they're great -- simple, reliable, affordable. Just out of curiosity, I tried to do a Google search for more info about the company that makes them. Well, there's lots of "Kroll" stuff out there, running the gamut from a big insurance company, some mapmakers, a patent attorney, and some unsavory stuff I avoided. But I couldn't find anything regarding our beloved Kroll flashlight tail switch. Who makes 'em? Is there an elusive Mr. Kroll behind the scenes? Any info or links you can provide?

No agenda other than my pure curiosity. Inquiring minds want to know!

Dave

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The Kroll is manufactured by a company who intentionally remains out of the limelight at a consumer level; they serve OEM's and industry.

The Kroll design and rights are owned by a flashlight manufacturer who seems to have chosen not to be directly identified with the Kroll switch. This is my understanding at any rate.

Because these two companies have chosen, for whatever reason, to remain behind the scenes, I will honor this situation and say no more. There is no conspiricy here to my knowledge but I do suspect that delving deeper might be a can of worms for some and perhaps not worth opening just to satisfy a curosity. I mean no slight or offense by this statement. If *sources* choose to remain unknown to the general public, I respect their choice.

- Don

mhejl

Newly Enlightened
Not sure but I still have some I purchased at gun shows in the late '80s or early '90s. They offered different threads, as I recall - for StreamLight or M*g 2AAs. The ones I bought then are identical to the ones available today except:

You could also get them with a rubber "ring" formed in the boot for a lanyard or split ring. I haven't seen any of *those* recently.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once it was posted that the Kroll switches are manufactured by Judco - I see no problem in posting this - I don´t think the manufacturer wants to keep this "secret" but it seems to be a typical OEM product - whoever wants to buy/sell or use them can buy them if the quantity is right I suppose.

Klaus

avusblue

Enlightened
That's all well and good, I guess, but then why has it come to be known as the KROLL switch and not something innocuous like the ACME switch (or whatever)? (meepmeep!)

Bill.H

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
mhejl said:
Not sure but I still have some I purchased at gun shows in the late '80s or early '90s. They offered different threads, as I recall - for StreamLight or M*g 2AAs. The ones I bought then are identical to the ones available today except:

You could also get them with a rubber "ring" formed in the boot for a lanyard or split ring. I haven't seen any of *those* recently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmmmm.... I needed one recently and there's a Streamlight warranty repair place not too far from where I work. So I drove over there and asked for a replacement switch for a Streamlight Jr (IIRC). They gave me a Kroll with the ring you mention for $4. This was only a few months ago.