P20a2 R5 vs LD20 R5 -- what gives?

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
While thinking of buying ld20 r5 or p20a2 r5, i wanted to see the differences in brightness and throw. Seaching on this forum, I heard about a great site: (http://fonarik.com/test/indexen.php), which has great pictures of a variety of lights to help flashaholics decide on what lights best for them. I must say, though, that after comparing these 2 lights from the sites pictures, I was quite shocked! Even though they both use xpg r5, the ld20 looks surprisingly brighter... even though its got a smaller head. Whats going on? I still want the p20a2 because of the momentary, but man.... the difference in brightness is quite shocking! Any ideas why both lights using the same led same batteries (2aa) are quite different in brightness on high? I have attached some pictures from fonariks site (I hope thats okay).
p20a2r5.jpg
ld20r5.jpg

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess those pictures go to show that manufacturers can make all the claims about lumens etc, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Or the proof of the torch is in the real actual light output. The 180 ANSI lumen LD20 clearly outshines the other "230 lumens" in these pictures.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
In all of his comparison shots, fonarik uses the same camera and setup.
Canon EOS 400D, 800 ISO, F16, 13 sec, tripod 90 M from the far wall.

Scubie67

Enlightened
I guess this is why its good to let someone else Guinea Pig the Light and wait till they post beamshots before purchasing

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess those pictures go to show that manufacturers can make all the claims about lumens etc, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Or the proof of the torch is in the real actual light output. The 180 ANSI lumen LD20 clearly outshines the other "230 lumens" in these pictures.

There's something wrong with the first picture. P20A2 MkII with XP-G R5 has approximately 215lm ANSI.

Napalm

Enlightened
Looks like a case of "emitter" vs. "OTF" vs. ANSI lumens.

But before dismissing the Eagletac I would definitely investigate if the pics are from the MkI or MkII version.

For the current MkII Eagletac is publishing something like 340 emitter / 244 ANSI, neither figure is in line with the Fonarik one.

My guess is that what you're seeing there is the MkI rated 230 emitter lumens.

Nap.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can tell you from experience that the P20A2 MKII is brighter than the LD20 R4 (I've never had an R5 but I can't imagine the difference is that big). I wonder if that beam shot of the P20A2 is the original version (not the MKII). I've said it time and time again - the LD20 R4 had the worst beam and tint of any light I've ever owned (I had two LD20 R4 and I've owned a LOT of lights).

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I don't have much experience with ANSI FL1 rated lights, but the E21 (pale white, XPE) is spec'd at 150L, but I measured it at ~205-210L in the BC sphere. On a ceiling bounce its indistinguishable from my Malkoff M60-18650. So from what I have seen the Fenix Lumen specs are somewhat conservative.

DaveTen

Banned
My LD20 excellent, brother has P20a2 but more and more wanted steal my Fenix.

Latest posts