Who here has a 10440 cell in a key chain light?

belomeclone

Enlightened
Alright, let's go over some facts:

1. I have no chargers or batteries :p

2. I am rocking a Tank007 TK-701. Who's with me?!? I love it.

3. The iTP A3, I don't understand any of the praise it gets. It is dim and the twist-on operation eventually led to it being unable to turn off without the light popping off.

4. Now for the main questions. Does anyone use a 10440 cell in a keychain flashlight? How much improved is the brightness? Can anyone fit in a protected battery?

5. What keychain flashlights do you use with the 10440 cell? Or just in general.

6. Are there any dangers to the 10440 cell in a keychain flashlight?

There we go! As all of my wake up in the middle of the night and ask a flashlight question topics go, Im going back to bed now. Thanks for any replies!!

austinguy23

Newly Enlightened
Bump. I'm wondering the same...if 10440 batteries allow for brighter output, why don't we see more models in keychain models? I'm in search of the ultimate keychain light...and yes, I'm a newb.

I use a 10440 in my Liteflux LF2XT which I use as a keychain light mostly (albeit in a small sheath). But the LF2XT is no longer available.

Danielsan

Enlightened
Bump. I'm wondering the same...if 10440 batteries allow for brighter output
I thought you can use those but not official in some keychainlights. Yes brighter output but also alot more heat and a keychainlight has not much material for cooling, nobody would sell those lights for "normal" ppl because you can only use them half a minute or so, flashlights are targeted for the ordinary consumer, not a flashlight addicted. If you want those lights you can buy custom flashlights like the Torpedo project which will offer those kind of batteries.

EV_007

Enlightened
I still use one in my Fenix LOD for a few years now. Short run time, but man that thing is bright when I crank it on high. I rotate between the two batteries I have for it.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
iTP A3 Upgraded rocking a 10440. used it for more than a year now.

why not too many offer lights like these? coz normally lights like these are used as backup, or even get passed for more powerful lights.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
4. Now for the main questions.

Does anyone use a 10440 cell in a keychain flashlight?
Yes, lots of people do.

How much improved is the brightness?
Depends on the particular light eg an ITP A3 EOS is more than twice as bright running on a 3.7V Li-ion battery.

Can anyone fit in a protected battery?
Some of the more common twisty lights have problems with a protected 10440 battery because the battery is too long for the light.

5. What keychain flashlights do you use with the 10440 cell? Or just in general.
ITP A3 EOS Alu; and Maratac AAA Cu

6. Are there any dangers to the 10440 cell in a keychain flashlight?
Yes. Unless the light is designed for the higher voltage of the Li-ion battery, the LED and/or driver may overheat, the battery may be damaged due to being over-discharged (too low a voltage) or supplying more current than it can cope with (I use IMR batteries to avoid the third problem).

For more info research here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?107-Smoke-and-Fire-Hot-Cells-and-Close-Calls-The-dangerous-side-of-batteries
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?9-Flashlight-Electronics-Batteries-Included

mzil

Enlightened
10440 in Maratac AAA and iTP A3 upgrade for well over a year with no problems. I never use High for more than half a minute at most and continually monitor the heat whenever I do use it.

People warn about it being "dangerous" but I'm not too worried, since the light is only $20 and the battery $4, even if I had reason to believe self destruction of both was inevitable, per year's use, I'd still be buying $24 worth of new goods annually, then, in order to have a fantastically bright, yet incredible small, light I always have on my keychain and use as my primary light. Heck, there are people on this forum who spend way more than that annually for flashlights they dont even use, but rather store as collectibles on a shelf!

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
My aaa lights with 10440. Preon1, maratac aaa (cu), liteflux lf2xt, univex aaa, itph01. No ill effect other than heat building up fast. Cant use them (exept the liteflux) for more than some minutes on max, but they are really bright. Med mode looks ~ as bright as max on a normal aaa, so you usually get: Lo mode (brighter than normal), Med (almost as bright as "alkaline high"), and Hi (really ûberbright for it's size, "use with care mode" :devil:)

I dont use 10040's in the preon p0 or the dqg II, imo they are too small to even try. My lumintop worm smelled funny after 3-4 sek on 10440 (prob just the potting coocking, have seen other use 10440 in the worm).

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
I've been running an unprotected Ultrafire 10440 in my iTP A3 "96 lumen" upgraded light, and also in my Fenix LD01 (the protected Ultrafire 10440 I have is too long and won't work in them). No problems with either for the past couple of weeks now with lots of use already.

My Peak Eigers should be showing up tomorrow, and those will also get a 10440 as well.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run a 10440 in a Peak Eiger QTC and it's my all time favorite key chain/EDC light. Infinitely variable output, very dim to very bright.

I've also run a 10440 in a Fenix LD01 (SS version) and it gets VERY bright... like, over 200 lumens bright.

The new Peak EigerX is out and get EXTREMELY bright on 10440 but it gets too hot to hold almost immediately and since there are no protected 10440 cells, I could see myself destroying something.

Cheers!

austinguy23

Newly Enlightened
Why would someone choose an Eiger(X) over the The Ultra(X)? The ability to take 10440 batteries and lumen outputs seem similar. Are sizes different or something? I can't find a decent website that coherently compares and contrasts the Peak keychain models.

spectrrr

Newly Enlightened
TrustFire 10440 in my EoStream (iTP A3 EOS upgraded head on a Streamlight Microstream body) - fits great, plenty of room, good connections and performance. (pocket carry)

Trustfire 10440 in a second iTP A3 EOS which functions as a keychain light on a second set of keys (not always with me). Battery is tight fit in the body, head has to be TIGHT in order to turn on - makes mode selection perfectly doable, but less pleasant. (keychain carry)

Trustfire 10440 in a stock current model Streamlight Microstream (the kind you can't modify :(). Battery fits well, makes the connection fine, I have to screw in the cap tightly, but this is not a problem because operation is via the forward clicky on the back. (pocket carry)

Trustfire 10440 in my old model Streamlight didn't seem to work, wouldn't make the connection. I'm sure if I messed with it for a minute I could convince it to work.

For all of those lights, heat is a concern. Keep an eye on the heat and don't plan on running it on high for long. I find it to be well suited for short term use to illuminate a street / yard / etc and make it clear to folks nearby that darkness is not a luxury they will have around me. Short "scavenger hunts" for things lost in the grass work equally well on high.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Eiger Ultra X is an Eiger body mated to a Logan head. I think it's reasonable to assume some people don't want an oversize head on their keychain light.

Why would someone choose an Eiger(X) over the The Ultra(X)? The ability to take 10440 batteries and lumen outputs seem similar. Are sizes different or something? I can't find a decent website that coherently compares and contrasts the Peak keychain models.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
On ebay I see Ultrafire and Trustfire 10440 batteries. Are both OK? I have been hesitant to use Li-on batteries due to the danger involved, but would like to use these in my AAA keychain lights.
Also, what is a decent charger for those batteries?

Thanks, Jerry

Last edited:

spectrrr

Newly Enlightened
On ebay I see Ultrafire and Trustfire 10440 batteries. Are both OK? I have been hesitant to use Li-on batteries due to the danger involved, but would like to use these in my AAA keychain lights.
Also, what is a decent charger for those batteries?

Thanks, Jerry

Be warned Jerry that according to other folks around here, most of the time the TrustFire's won't fit right in the AAA keychain lights. I lucked out either either the battery or the light and got one that fits, but I seem to be the exception, not the rule.

I'll let someone else more knowledgeable than I take on the question of reliability and chargers :)

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to run 10440 in my Liteflux LF2XTs and in my Fenix LD01.

The LF2XTs would start to flash on and off in a pre-programmed pattern. It might be possible to disable that notification, but I never looked at how. Usually this would happen 1-2 minutes from turn on at max power. the Fenix at max power would start stuttering and would no longer give a constant beam. This would happen within 30 seconds or so of being turned on.

Both lights were much brighter on 10440 than on AAA. Note: it's possible that the stuttering and flashing I saw was because I was using cheapie 10440 cells. I purchased my 10440s before I discovered AWs. It's also possible that this behavior was caused by them simply overheating.

I moved up to bigger lights for my EDC which give substantially more power. Currently I'm EDCing a Jetbeam RRT-01.