Streamlight TL-2

biblefreak

Newly Enlightened
Just got my TL-2 from BrightGuy.com WOW!! This is a great light!
The pros-
Beautiful bright very white light. If I was guessing, I would say Q3J as the milky white light very closely resembles the Q3J's I got from Kong.
Smaller than I excpected it to be. I was anticipating something the size of my Legend LX. Much smaller head, very skinny body.
Machining is top notch. Threads are not too fine to encourage cross threading, but not so wide as to feel loose.
Removable steel clip seems very solid. Doesn't seem like it will bend or become broken easily. Nice that it is detatchable for those that would prefer to holster carry rather than clip carry.

The Cons-
Is not as focusable as one would want, but hey, what focusable light is!! Really, the change in usable focus is maybe an increase in the hotspot of probably three to five inches at 10 feet before going donut, or go to far and the head pops off!!
Due to the head popping off if you turn it too many turns, I would say it could probably use a higher thread count on the head.

Would I pay $60 again for this light? A resounding YES!! As a matter of fact, I am going to take it to the office and try to get all the techs on my crew to break down and get a "real" flashlight!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It IS nice isn't it.

I just got my first ARC LSH-S this afternoon. A bit non-plussed with the ARC. The TL-2 LED is probably three times brighter, and the ARC is yellow/greenish.

Oh well, I had to try the ARC.

onelight

Enlightened
Thanks for the report biblefreak I have been considering the TL2 and was wondering how well the reflectors work,is the TL2 regulated?... Johnk to really appreciate the ARC LS you gotta carry it for a few weeks,the longer I carry it the more I like it,bright, small & regulated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, too late. I sold it cheap. Serial number 002. How about that.

How does the reflector work on the TL-2 ? VERY WELL. Throws like crazy, and huge, even side spill. Not regulated, but that doesn't make an ant hill to me. Unregulated lights don't "quit" at inopportune times. When the light fades (still working) to a point that it displeases you, simply change the batteries. If you can't, it'll still get you home, even at half brightness. And if you can't even do that, it'll light for hours, and hours,...................

I guess thats why I sold the ARC. And didn't like that bulbous clickie.

Different strokes, etc...................

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a TL-2 LED a few weeks ago, and it has become my hands-down favorite light! The output is pure white, the spill light is awesome, and the throw is incredible for a 1 watt luxeon. I traded my SF L4 to get the TL-2 (...plus a couple other lights), and I haven't regretted it for one second. The L4 put out considerably more light overall (5W vs 1W), but the TL-2 EASILY throws twice as far as the L4, doesn't get nearly as hot as the L4, and a set of 123's will last 4 times as long in the TL-2. The L4 WAS a nice light, but the TL-2 simply suited my needs much better...SL did a great job on this one!

PJD

biblefreak

Newly Enlightened
Its actually kinda funny how bright this thing really is. I drilled a 1" hole in a wall at work to fish out some wires. This is where I normally would have pulled out my mini mug and peered through the hole and fished my wires. Well I pull out my TL-2 and have my eye about an inch from the wall, hit the tailcap and BAM!! I am literally blinded by the reflection off the paint of the wall I drilled the hole in!! Put the TL-2 back in my pouch, pulled out a CMG Ultra (after the little whaite spot cleared from my vision) and proceeded to fish my wires....

MAN THIS THING IS BRIGHT!!!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
My TL-2 LED is an excellent, very well made light with a tightly focused very bright white beam that throws far due to its narrow diameter. Total output is similar to my very white and bright LSH-P though it clearly outthrows the LSH-P because of that narrow beam.

I was thinking of it as a possible EDC replacement for my LSH-P, but runtime comparisons showed the relatively short bright life of the TL-2 while the LSH-P/2AA/lith turned in a regulated burn of five hours + dimmer moon mode.

Ever since 9/11 and the blackout runtime has become an important EDC consideration for me and I find that the LSH-P has the best combination of light weight, small size, brightness and runtime of any small LED light that I've seen. Of course this is my personal opinion based upon my own needs and in no way implies that the LSH-P is "better" than another light.

Brightnorm

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I will think twice (or more) about getting a non-regulated Luxeon light again. I like to kill my batteries, if I am using a luxeon I want bright light. Those don't go well together with a non-regulated Luxeon. I like my Reactor III but rarely use it anymore as I now have an Arc LS.

phyhsuts

Enlightened
How does the reflector of the SL TL-2 compare with that of the PM-6? If it is better, perhaps someone should do a regulator mod (BB500 or BB750 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif ?) for the SL TL-2 in the same way as it is done for the PM-6 ? Both use 1.2W Luxeons. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif