What do you sleep on?

MikeF

Enlightened
I am in the market for a new mattress. I have looked at "Sleep Number" beds and "Memory Foam" beds, and I even tried a waterbed not too long ago. I have looked at so many mattress and I have been deluged with so much marketing hype that I am not sure what I want, I just know that with my current 10 year old inner-spring mattress I wake up with a sore back. HELP! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

trailstoride

Newly Enlightened
We just bought a Select Comfort mattress. It is quite comfortable to sleep on. We had a 10 year old Simmons Beauty Rest pillow top mattress that was worn out. My wife broke her back while in college and has frequent back and leg pains. She says the new mattress is a vast improvment and is sleeping better than she has in years.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been wanting to get one of those Tempur-pedic beds, but for 2,000, I will wait a while!

There are several foam companies that offer foam toppings for your current matress. I bet you could get a memory foam topper, and a 6 in "regular foam (not egg crate, but solid foam) and put it on top of your current matress, and you would sleep like a baby!

Saaby

Flashaholic
The top of the line sleep number bed is the best of both worlds, it's a "sleep number bed" with Tempurpudic foam on top!

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tempur-pedic-
They do have rather outlandish prices, not $2k for the King size I bought for my parents (that's probably for the Deluxe version), but they're definitely different from anything else. I've got the full size myself- It's interesting jumping into one when the room is cold, because it feels really super firm until it warms up- probably could hurt yourself jumping on it at the temps my room sees in the winter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif . The claims that you toss and turn less is positively true with it though, and what I find is that it spoils you for sleeping on other beds, because you tend to lose your automatic response of periodic shifting to relieve pressure points, until you get used to the regular beds again.
The selling point that they had was that you spend a third of your time sleeping (at least that's usually my goal, which I don't meet most of the time...), so it's worth it over the long haul. It seems be holding up well so far, so if it continues doing so for 15 years, I figure the cost is amortized down to something reasonable.

MikeF

Enlightened
The reviews I read about the Tempur-Pedic say that they reflect a lot of your body heat back at you and that if you are a warm sleeper they become uncomfortably warm. Has anyone with a Tempur-pedic noticed that? I like to have the bedroom around 65 degrees f. My wife wouldn't mind if it was 80 degrees!

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally don't have any problems with the heat, maybe because the cover breathes and allows moisture to escape- or maybe there's a bit less body heat being generated, since there's less thrashing about in attempt to get comfortable- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Don't know how they can maintain the prices they have, with the infomercial product status they maintain- Always on late at night, presumably targeting the insomniacs among us - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif If they pull back on those infomercials and the mass mailings they send out (like the ubiquitous AOL disks- too bad they stopped sending out floppies, that I could use for backing up my hard drive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ), and just drop the price, they probably would be able to sell lots more.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I have a 25-year old king size waterbed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's on its 4th or 5th mattress. Summer comes, I turn the heater down, and winter, back up. Mine has the book case head board and drawer pedestal. Still love it.

Larry

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at www.foamorder.com . I got a 2 inch twin size to go on top of the old mattress, and it solved my sore back and side problem. Worth the price to me. I got the better grade of the lower price one. It takes a while to get the order, as everything is done when they process the order. Browse the site, as it is quite interesting to see your options.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you folks out there have "The Original Mattress Factory" stores, but we got one of their mattresses and it's the absolute best. They actually have each of their models pulled apart in the showroom along with the most popular models of their competition. I've never seen such garbage materials/springs as what goes into the supposedly "premium" mattresses of the really BIG name manufacturers.

Here's a mattress buyer's guide from their website:
http://www.originalmattress.com/products/guide.asp

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Futon mattress on a wood platform--added a foam "egg crate" layer for a little extra padding. We like it, but I don't know enough to say whether or not it would be good for your back.

Tombeis

Enlightened
I have switched mattress's three times in the last four years. Finally settled on a generic version of the Tempur-Pedic which is sold over the internet by a company called Advanced Sleep at www.memoryfoamsource.com

Their version matches the specs. of the Tempur- Pedic, and sells for less. A queen size Tempur was $1599.00. The Advanced Sleep version was $998.00 delivered when I bought it last year.

I have back problems, and I sleep very well on this mattress.

If you have a good mattress, but it's too hard for you, you may also want to try a memory foam topper. Both Costco and Sam's sell an excellent version. The queen size was around $110.00 at Costco. A friend bought one for the bed in his travel trailer and told me it was very comfortable, and he was sleeping better after the install

The toppers are also available on the internet.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had and slept on waterbeds since the sixties before they had heaters and you used several blankets between you and the waterbed to keep from freezing. Now its a fiberfilled king with full wave reduction on a pedestal base with drawers and a bookcase headboard.I have trouble sleeping on overnight trips when I have to use a "regular" bed in a hotel unless I am extremely tired and have several drinks to help Mr sandman to visit.