Surefire Z44 head lens question

Xacto

Enlightened
Hi folks,

I just got two new Surefire hosts from my usual vendor. While the 9P body looks normal, the 6P body seems to be of an older make.

First judging by the interior coating, the body is older stock then the lights and bodies I received in the past 12 months from him, with the interior of the battery tube having the old, yellow-gold coating, second (and reason for this post) the lens in the head seems to be of an other material then other heads I have.

In this video I compared the recently received head (on the left) with another head I have.

As you can see in my video, the older heads lens sounds thinner and reminds me more of a thin plastic lens. It seems not to have the same coating as the lens on the right hand head, which sounds more solid too.

I seem to remember that I read somewhere here that Surefire did change the material of its lenses at some point. Unfortunately, my search parameters helped me not finding the right thread.

I got that SF6P body mainly as a possible spare parts donor, so it could happen that one distant day that head and that lens will find themselves in front of some type of LED.

Are there any problems to expect with that type of lens? Any info is appreciated, since I am wondering if I contact my dealer regarding an exchange. I got the body at a comparable low price (for german Surefire prices), so I am a little hesitant to contact him regarding that matter if there are no real technical reasons to have the head exchanged.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers

Thorsten