Z57 Tailswitch issues and questions...

Drjones

Enlightened
Just got an L4. Pretty awesome light. VERY small, and quite bright, though I'm still waiting for nightfall to really pass judgement on it.

That said, I'm not thrilled with the tailswitch. I think I may be the first person to report such a problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It can be quite difficult to click through to constant-on, though it *may* have eased up a little due to me playing with it for a bit now. I'm not quite sure if this really bothers me or not, as constant-on isn't always used by me anyway.

Two issues:

- I can hear a faint "springy" sound coming from the cap when I push through to constant on. It is a cheap sound and REALLY bugs me coming from such an expensive light. I gather from some threads here and SF's customer service that this is normal. Anyone else have it? Anyone NOT have it?

- I have also gathered that some form of "loc-tite" compound is used on the threads. Two issues with this:

1. The compound leaked out and is visible on the very end of the tailcap, where the switch screws into the outer body. There is also a dab on the knurling itself. Anyone else have this?

2. If I decided to disassemble and fix my switch, do I run a risk of damaging the switch because of the locking compound, as alluded to by some here?

Lastly, if I decided to disassemble my switch, where could I find the appropriate tool? Some seem to have had luck at bicycle shops...

Man, I almost wish they could have just put a Kroll switch on this thing...THAT is a nice switch!

Thanks!
Drjones

Size15's

Flashaholic
If your SureFire Dealer has "Master Dealer" status (or whatever term they use now) then you should be able to contact your Dealer for a replacement of a SureFire [part] that you believe to be faulty.
You could also call SureFire directly 800 828 8809 and arrange to have the Z57 TailCap replaced.

Please keep us up to date with regards to how get on.

Al

Drjones

Enlightened
Well, unfortunately Al, I bought this L4 from an individual here.

The switch isn't awful, but I'm not thrilled with it either.

Drjones

Enlightened
I meant that I cannot send it to a dealer for replacement. I fully expect Surefire to stand behind it.

Ser. # is 0972. I called SF today and spoke with Doug. He said that the springy sound I hear is normal, the bent spring doesn't affect operation, and to cycle the cap a lot and it will loosen up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

I requested a new cap, but he said they are backordered for about another month on the caps.

I'm going to leave it for a while, and then may consider disassembling it myself.

Drjones

Enlightened
How delightfully odd! I emailed SF this morning but got impatient so I called as I said.

Well, I just recieved this in my inbox:

Dear Drjones,

Thank you for the inquiry and continued support of SureFire products. E-mail me your address. I will arrange for a replacement Z57 to be sent to you at no cost.

We are dedicated to providing world-class customer service and welcome future inquiries or comments.

Best regards,
George D. Syrengelas
Technical Support Representative
(800) 828-8809
(714) 545-9444, Extension 200

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
The working in of the SureFire Z57 TailCap switches is not new. Just like loud speakers.

George Syrengelas is The Man in Tech Support.

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Drjones

Enlightened
Dear Drjones,

The Z57 is on the way.

Best regards,
George D. Syrengelas
Technical Support Representative
(800) 828-8809
(714) 545-9444, Extension 200

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Drjones

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
The working in of the SureFire Z57 TailCap switches is not new. Just like loud speakers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean here, Al. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Just press it and click it lots whilst checking out your new SureFire - the switch will become better to use in a short time (one or two battery changes)
For me it took a couple hours of use on the first night I got it but then I still put 2-3 sets of SF123A through my EDC each week depending on what's going on.

Al

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Drjones said:
- I have also gathered that some form of "loc-tite" compound is used on the threads. Two issues with this:

1. The compound leaked out and is visible on the very end of the tailcap, where the switch screws into the outer body. There is also a dab on the knurling itself. Anyone else have this?

2. If I decided to disassemble and fix my switch, do I run a risk of damaging the switch because of the locking compound, as alluded to by some here?

Lastly, if I decided to disassemble my switch, where could I find the appropriate tool? Some seem to have had luck at bicycle shops...

Man, I almost wish they could have just put a Kroll switch on this thing...THAT is a nice switch!

Thanks!
Drjones

[/ QUOTE ]

To answer your questions:

1. Yes
2. Yes

All your other questions can be answered by reading this thread

Repetitive cycling of the Z57 tailcap will yield a unique two-tiered result:

Initial results will include (and most likely be limited to)....... a sore thumb. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thankfully, this is only temporary. Continued feverish clicking will then result in a considerably stronger thumb. This newly developed superthumb will make it easier to use the switch, but I don't think the switch itself has changed as much as the digit doing the work. I must caution you to cease your wholesale clicking at this point. Because......

......If you continue at this frenetic pace, you will soon be cursed with an oversize, misshapen, and grotesque appendage that may never fully return to normal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Yes, it's true... If you don't believe me, you can ask CM himself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously though, the Z57 is a great switch! It just needs a little of the secret ingredient! I could make your switch buttery smooth in about 10 minutes. If you are mechanically inclined (and can get it apart) you could probably do it yourself in about 20 minutes. (The ten minute difference would be due to the fact that you are doing this for the first time.)

It would be great if they came from SureFire that way. There is no denying that they should be perfect out of the box. However, these issues only bother me in principle now. I just crack them open, and put a little magic in there....

Peter

Drjones

Enlightened
Peter:

Thanks for the reply and the link.

I have already looked at that thread, but still had some questions. (Obviously. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

As you read here, SF has a new Z57 on its way to me. Depending on how that one is, I'll try the fix myself.

Doesn't look too complicated.

Thank you!
Drjones

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck with the new switch, Drjones. Odds are that it too can benefit from the mod. I've seen very few that couldn't be dramatically improved with this procedure. Even "properly" functioning Z57s will have a smoother action when you're done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
6P, not at all. that's the beauty of SF's customer service /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i've ALWAYS had excellent experiences when dealing with george syrengelas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Drjones

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
6pOriginal said:
A little bit off topic...but do you need to send in your old Z57 to them before you get a new one? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. I'm assuming I'll just return the old one when I get the new one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

outlaw918692000

Newly Enlightened
I E-mailed surefire and recived an E-mail in return 5 min. later that my new switch was on the way and if I had any more problems to contact them and they would respond promptly (5 min. I guess so!)I will try the fix on my old switch when my new one gets here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Kentucky Rifle

Newly Enlightened
When I ordered my TW4 plus L4 "tube" from Dan at Tactical Warehouse, I specifically
asked him for the "twisty" switch. (You turn it to the right for full on.) However, it also has a small rubber button on it for momentary illumination. The cap also "locks out" the small rubber button with a little further twist to the left. What number is my switch? The "older" model is what I ordered. No problems at all with my switch.

Will

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will, I don't know what the model # designation is for your tailcap. I think it's just commonly referred to here as the regular LOTC (lock-out tail cap).

The design of this switch is very simple in comparison to the Z57, so there isn't much that can go wrong with it. I much prefer a properly functioning Z57 "clickie" TC though, rotating the TC for constant on is a pain in my opinion. I got rid of all my standard tailcaps and replaced them with clickies. BTW, have you tried the clickie TC yet? They will spoil you for a standard TC very quickly.

Peter