-50%: 30 lumens, 270 minutes

-10%: 7 lumens, 900 minutes

-Low: 4 lumens, 245 hours

-Strobe: 180 minutes

-SOS: 180 minutes

-60 m beam distance

Retail price: $20

Package:

The NexTorch K2 came packaged with a short manual and a Nextorch AA battery. There are no included accessories that come separate from the light as the pocket clip is already attached and there are no holes on the body for the attachment of lanyards. There is, however, a small hole on the tip of the clip which can be used to attach a lanyard if you really need to attach one.

5367508281_bb327f87c2_z.jpg

5368118646_264091075f_z.jpg

5368118686_d252d3bda7_z.jpg

Design and Form Factor:

5368117914_17e6c56bbf_z.jpg

NexTorch publicizes the K2 as the "smallest single AA flashlight" that is currently available and this is what it's selling point is most likely going to be for most people. It is indeed very small, almost as large as the one AA battery that it uses. It's nearly impossible to verify that this flashlight is the smallest AA flashlight available, but it comes very close in size to the NiteCore EZAA which is slightly longer yet slightly more narrow. The K2 is approximately 79 mm long ( compared to 83mm on the NiteCore) and is 18mm wide (compared to 16.5 mm on the NiteCore). It is much smaller than the comparable 1xAA lights made by Sunwayman, Dereelight, and Fenix.

5368118804_d031d080e3_z.jpg

5368118042_8aac7fe63a_z.jpg

The aluminum body seems to be good quality and the anodizing as well.

(The clip cannot be removed.)

The entire body of the NexTorch K2 is made from aluminum and it has a very smooth surface. There is no knurling along the body itself, but there are some grooves on the head which are helpful for turning the flashlight on and off (this light is a "twisty" and turns on by rotating the head like a mini-maglite. It does not have a switch, perhaps one of the design requirements for it to be so short in length.)

5367507533_b7311783c4_z.jpg

I would say that the grip on the head of the light is not the best, as my fingers do tend to slip when changing modes and turning the flashlight on and off. It also seems that the threads are fairly stiff between the head and the body. Despite this, I am still able to operate the flashlight easily with the use of 2 hands, although it's not so easy to do so with one. This is because there is not much grip on the head and because the threads, at least on mine, are quite stiff and not easily turned. This may be because they are either too rough or because they don't have enough lubricant.

Head and Reflector:

5367507709_a729d784d1_z.jpg

The head of the K2 is approximately the same diameter as the rest of the body. There is a very slight increase in diameter where the reflector is housed, but this only about 1mm or so. The reflector itself is a very slight orange-peel texture and the light has more throw than I thought it would have for such a small light.

5367507805_3c0715e45c_z.jpg

The NexTorch K2 uses an SSC-P4 led which is pure white, providing 65 lumens on its highest mode. The LED is not neutral white, but also would not be described as cool white since it is noticeably warmer than the Q5 emitter on a Fenix L2D. The beam is surprisingly quite focused, with a very distinct hotspot surrounded by an even circle of brightness all the way out to the outer edge of the beam. It is not a flood-type light which seems to be more common in the 1xAA format.

5368119024_a1b46c0966_z.jpg

Projected on a white wall, the beam contains no artifacts whatsoever and there are no dark spots in the center even at minimal (10cm) distances.

5367508747_e92aa7c29b_z.jpg

5368119080_a5d0443018_z.jpg

User Interface:

The user interface of the NexTorch K2 flashlight is very simple to use and to get used to. It is turned on and off by simply rotating the bezel counterclockwise for on, and clockwise for off. (when viewed from below looking up) The modes are changed by quickly turning the light off and then on again. The sequence of the modes is highà mediumàlowàstrobeàSOS. Important to note is that this is the same sequence which the flashlight will always follow. It always turns on at the highest mode and progresses through the different modes the same way each time, in the order described above. Once you reach the SOS mode, the next mode will be high once again and then the sequence is repeated. This is one area of the flashlight which I was slightly disappointed with. While some kind of memory would have been ideal, with the flashlight turning on that same level it was turned off at, for a twisty light I realize this is fairly difficult since there is no switch circuit. Having said this, it would have made much more sense for the flashlight to turn on at the lowest level and progress upwards in brightness. This seems to be the intuitive way of using a flashlight, and makes more sense when one is outdoors and does not want to ruin night-adapted vision. If you are prefer having a flashlight turn on at the highest level then you might consider this a positive, but for my own personal use I prefer low modes first.

On the topic of modes, the low mode on the K2 is rated at 7 lumens which to me is a bit too bright. There has been a tendency with the newest generation of flashlights to include a very low mode, or moonlight mode, which produces about 1 or 2 lumens of output and very long runtimes. A very low mode would have been nice, but once again the mode sequence from bright to low would almost render a moonlight mode useless because by the time you switch down to low mode, your night adapted vision would be affected by the 65 lumen high mode that you had to cycle through.

I also prefer not having blinking modes as I believe they are more of a hassle than a survival tool. I understand why they are still included because they are indeed good at attracting attention, but in normal day-to-day operation these modes are not used. It would therefore be nice if these modes were in another "hidden" menu so that I did not have to cycle through them when attempting to switch brightness.

O-rings:

5368118162_ee1674f2e5_z.jpg

From what I can see there is only one o-ring in the K2. It's located in the tailcap and is fairly recessed. This o-ring is flattened out and seems like it was made specifically for just this model flashlight. If in future it needs to be changed, it seems like this old one might be somewhat difficult to take out. I was surprised to not find an o-ring where the head unscrews from the body of the flashlight. When the light is unscrewed in order to turn it on, the threads become exposed and there is no o-ring visible. I believe water would be able to make its way in through this opening. This would not really be an issue if the head were able to be completely screwed off the body, making insertion of an o-ring simple, but in the K2 the head does not unscrew completely. Therefore there is really no way of placing an o-ring here. Other flashlights also tend to have an o-ring just underneath the lens, forming a seal with the reflector. The K2 also does not appear to have an o-ring there.

5368118872_cf35e5c58b_z.jpg

5368118294_f72b790ce4_z.jpg

5367507937_56dbf65580_z.jpg

The threads on the K2 are normal threads, not square. Here you can also see the small hole on the tip of the clip where a lanyard or split-ring can be attached.

Battery:

5367508115_d5f555305e_z.jpg

I believe that the 1xAA form factor is very practical and provides the best size-to-power ratio. The battery fits very snugly into the battery tube and there is no battery rattle. As stated previously, the flashlight is the smallest of the 1xAA flashlights I have personally seen in the past. For size comparison purposes, the battery itself is as long as the black portion of the battery tube, while the metallic head containing the LED and reflector is an additional 2.6 cm in length.

5367508193_546373e783_z.jpg

NexTorch advertises the K2 as weighing 32 grams but I got a slightly higher weight of approximately 33.4 grams (without batteries).

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review! I just received mine today and have had a little time to play with it.

There are some things I don't like about it:

• Battery rattle, it's not severe but it is present.
  • The clip isn't the strongest and as such does not have retention that inspires confidence. To be fair, this is a $25 light. Still, the clip on the iTP A3 feels more secure to me than the K2's.
  • UI.. well not so much the UI but the fact that the K2 retains the next mode memory for 10 seconds. If you want to cycle to the next mode, there is no rush on the K2. From on (high) turn the light off and within 9 seconds turn it back on. It will now be in the next mode. At 10 seconds, no matter the last mode, the light will come on in high. Would have preferred it to be 2-3 seconds.
  • Turning Off/thread play. The K2 requires a slightly more than quarter turn counter-clockwise to turn off. This is a bit more than most twisty lights that loosen to turn off. There is a tiny amount of thread play/head wobble that can lead to mode skipping.
That said, there are positives as well:

• Form factor. It is the 2nd smallest AA light I own (smallest being the H501).
  • Love that high mode comes on first. YMMV of course, but I have lights that I can use for moonlight/firefly mode if needed. A little variety isn't a bad thing here. :)
  • Tint. Not quite cool, but not quite neutral. The only light I have to compare it to is the MJP Extreme III, only a tiny bit more yellow.
These are only my first impressions, I'll give it some pocket time in the coming days to form a better opinion.

@Ian2381, the bezel is not detachable and the head does not come off of the body. Of course they do say where there's a will, there's a way. This one may make you work for it though. ;)

Pook

Newly Enlightened
I received one of these today from DX.

It looks like you should be able to remove the clip and attach it to the lower end of the light instead - which would have it sitting head down and rather deeper in the pocket, which I would have preferred. Sadly the clip is a very tight fit and I doubt removal would be possible without damaging the finish.

It has a plastic lens! Now I thought that was the case when I bought it, but I assumed I would be able to switch it out for a glass one.

Sadly the head really does not seem like it will come off, so no option to upgrade the emitter or switch to a glass lens.

Rather a shame really.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you swap out the SSC P4 for the XP-E in the pictures or is the description wrong?

Sorry if I missed something in the review which covered it, but that is definately an XP-E..

Pook

Newly Enlightened
I meant to comment on that, it comes with an XP-E...

JNieporte

Enlightened
I picked up one of these today for $18. Not bad at all. The beam is very white, and I like the tightness of it. The pocket clip has been redesigned and will come off for bezel-down use (it came bezel-up). It looks more like a standard clip (think Fenix LD12) than what's pictured. Mine has five modes: high, medium, low, strobe, and SOS (no low 4 lumen mode as mentioned). The lumen rating is the same as listed above, as is the ten-second memory. The head doesn't come off. Plastic lens, OP reflector (mine isn't not as textured as shown, mine is a bit lighter).

Last edited:

jamesmyname

Newly Enlightened
I'm glad I found this thread today. I'm looking for a very small AA light to see if I can EDC it in place of my ITP A3 (AAA). Size is a concern for me, and this looks to be one of the smallest AA lights around.

Has anyone tried this light with a 14500? I'm guessing it's not "officially supported," but does it unofficially work, or will bad things happen?

JNieporte

Enlightened
I'm glad I found this thread today. I'm looking for a very small AA light to see if I can EDC it in place of my ITP A3 (AAA). Size is a concern for me, and this looks to be one of the smallest AA lights around.

Has anyone tried this light with a 14500? I'm guessing it's not "officially supported," but does it unofficially work, or will bad things happen?

The K2 is nice. It's a two-handed light, at least for me. Mine requires 3/8 of a turn to get on and off, and anything between full on and full off in that 3/8 turn (including side-to-side pushing on the head) will act as a momentary mode, so some mode-skipping is inevitable with one hand. I really wish this had a clicky.

A 14505 and 14500 had the same effect: really bright, you lose low mode altogether (high, medium, strobe, SOS) and the LED gets blue really fast. Fortunately, when I noticed mine getting blue, I removed the battery and tried an alkaline. It wasn't as blue as the 14500, but it didn't go back to the white beam that it was. I got my low mode back as well. After a few minutes of use and many on-and-off cycles to make sure the modes were still there (they were) the light still has a blue-ish tint. So, nothing higher than 1.7 volts.

jamesmyname

Newly Enlightened
The K2 is nice. It's a two-handed light, at least for me. Mine requires 3/8 of a turn to get on and off, and anything between full on and full off in that 3/8 turn (including side-to-side pushing on the head) will act as a momentary mode, so some mode-skipping is inevitable with one hand. I really wish this had a clicky.

A 14505 and 14500 had the same effect: really bright, you lose low mode altogether (high, medium, strobe, SOS) and the LED gets blue really fast. Fortunately, when I noticed mine getting blue, I removed the battery and tried an alkaline. It wasn't as blue as the 14500, but it didn't go back to the white beam that it was. I got my low mode back as well. After a few minutes of use and many on-and-off cycles to make sure the modes were still there (they were) the light still has a blue-ish tint. So, nothing higher than 1.7 volts.

Thanks, JNieporte. Sorry the 14500 blue your light up (sorry for that pun, too). I guess I'll wait for my 10440s to arrive to try out in my ITP A3. I love the A3, but I'm at the stage in my addiction where I'm looking for some real wow factor.

JNieporte

Enlightened
The pocket clip can be installed bezel-down...
005-4.jpg

It simply clips on...
007-4.jpg

Compared to a AA battery...
008-4.jpg

And in tailcap / body thickness...
009-2.jpg

Beam shots. All were taken with the same settings, three feet from the wall. The "+" marks the center of the beam.
High...
010-2.jpg

Medium...
011-2.jpg

Low...
012-2.jpg

On all three settings, no PWM was noticed. However, on the camera, it was very noticeable on medium and low.

JNieporte

Enlightened
So the 4 lumens for 10 days is not actually true?

There is no 4 lumen setting. High is 65 lumens for 90 minutes; medium is 30 lumens for 270 minutes, low is 7 lumens for 900 minutes, strobe is 65 lumens for 180 minutes, and SOS is 65 lumens for 180 minutes. I don't know where the 4-lumen low mode claim came from; it's not on the light, not in the manual or on NexTorch's product description, and the only reference to it anywhere is what I saw in OGreviews' description.

Although the photos don't show it well, there's a very noticeable difference in output between the modes.