Why are the Fat AA holders better then narrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why are the Fat AA holders better then narrow? I can see that they would be more stable then the narrow single AA's but not sure why it is that more desirable since the narrow is still stable on a flat surface.

Raindrop

Enlightened
Just checked on some of my old ARC LS stuff and found that I had lucked out with one of the "fat" AA holders along with two of the skinny ones. Since the skinnies are in with a couple of my early colored ARC LS I probably won't ever use them, but the fatty came with an ARC LS that had been used already and I will have to say that aesthetically I like the constant diameter better than the stepped down version. No practical reason that I can see other than the possibility of more meat if I drill and tap it for one of the McGizmo / Dat2zip brass belt clip escutcheons.

mahoney

Enlightened
The "fat" holders can be bored out for use with an A cell or a 123 cell or various rechargeable cells and are popular with modders for that reason. Personally I like the constant diameter "fat" packs better than the later "turned down" packs. Something about the shape feels better in my hand and I like the look too.

Lux_Luminous

Enlightened
I'm guessing that it's novelty pure and simple. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

They are rare and that makes them somewhat desireable.

I wouldn't mind one if I found one at a reasonable price.

Could someone post a photo of one?

"Lux" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bored mine out to A size and use a single A NiMh in it - might be trying out a 17500 for fun though as soon as I get some - as I have put a very low Vf HD LS in one rev1 LS to make it as bright as possible this might overdrive this LS.

Klaus

dark star

Enlightened
With the fat AA holder I can twist the light on an off with one hand easily, thats harder to do with the skinny holder.

mindstretch

Newly Enlightened
Where can I get a single AA holder for my Arc LSH-P? I saw a "FrankenArcLs" that has a single AA body on an ARC LSH at the TADGEAR site but they are sold out. Does Arc sell them? Thanks.

ChrisA

Enlightened
Arc once made them, to go with the first evolution of the ArcLS. Since then, the boost circuit has been changed to make the light brighter and more efficient at 3V input. That prevents the usage of a single AA alkaline cell because the current draw is too high for that type...

Chris

P.S. I just tried one of the old AA packs on my LSH and it will light up (rather dim), if I use a lithium L91 but not with a regular alkaline.

Status
Not open for further replies.