Amateur Radio

BriteIdea

Newly Enlightened
I'm curious how many CPF'rs are ham radio types, whether licenced operators or just novices. I did a quick search and the last entry was 2006.

Sometimes various hobbies can cross paths and I'm sure a few of us have more than one hobby. I've been in ham radio for 22 years and operate on various bands per my licence.

Even in ham radio each individual has his own flavor for what gets him interested. Some like to chat only. Some like to build. Many of us like the DX factor which is shooting long distance around the world and letting the phenomia of the skip action do the work. Aside from the DX factor many of us like to build our own antennas. Not just the metal rod going up into the air but some fairly extravagant long wire back yard antennas.

That's the part I like, salvaging lengths of wire and cut to measure (cut to frequency) specific lengths and hoisting up 30 to 40 feet and hope for the best on various bands (primarily 80Meters)

So, how is it that many of may have various hobbies and how the cross paths? We all love flashlights and each one of us collect them for as many reasons as there are collectors. No different that ham operators. We're all in it for the same reason. Urge to learn, curious or just plain fun. and the other main reason is: Because we can

So, let's hear from the Amateur radio operators and where do your specifics lie in ham and how did your path cross into flaslights?

I also collect the older transistor radios, mainly for nastalgia sake and they too are just ...cool. Too each his own. Do you have a weird hobby or weird collection?