Zebralight vs Saint Minimus... opinons

Z

z_jzh797s

First time poster, long time reader.

I am getting ready for a hike I have been waiting many years for and want to get a good headlight for it. I have been using an off the shelf Energizer headlamp for many years, but I'm ready to get something quality. I have seen the many comparisons out there, but none as they relate to the Zebralight H51F. I'm curious which of these would be a better way to go and why. If anyone has any other suggestions for a floody headlamp, please throw them out there.

I will be using this headlamp primarily for around camp. I cant imagine I will be doing much night hiking with it.

Thanks

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
BUMPing this up... In the market for a new headlamp and have narrowed it down to Minimus vs. Zebralight H31....

Quality of Zebralight up there with SF?

Owned a Minimus before and sold it because I hated the beam.... But, well, its a Surefire and I know I can trust them. Never owned a ZL before....

Thanks!
-Harry

Diablo_331

Enlightened
Zebra Lights are solid with one of the best UIs available. I will go out on a limb here and say that you will love it. Plus the price difference is large. No worries with them.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebra Lights are solid with one of the best UIs available. I will go out on a limb here and say that you will love it. Plus the price difference is large. No worries with them.

Thanks for the quick reply and info - think I will go ahead and order the H31W... The XML handheld version is also looking quite appealing..

This is a big step for me - only own Surefires, Ra (HDS now I guess) and Malkoffs - hope the ZLs can hang w the big boys :) ;)

raphaello

Newly Enlightened
Just a suggestion before you buy Zebralight - take a look at Spark headlamps ! IMO they are better than Zebralight ! Just a suggestion ... you will not go wrong with either one of them :thumbsup:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a suggestion before you buy Zebralight - take a look at Spark headlamps ! IMO they are better than Zebralight ! Just a suggestion ... you will not go wrong with either one of them :thumbsup:

How are you defining "better"? Most of my reading seems to suggest that they aren't built as well but are brighter and of course you can get to the lens to switch between frosted and clear lens.

With the Zebralight you have an excellend UI and built quality.

Would you disagree with that assessment? Also what about weight?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
First time poster, long time reader.

I am getting ready for a hike I have been waiting many years for and want to get a good headlight for it. I have been using an off the shelf Energizer headlamp for many years, but I'm ready to get something quality. I have seen the many comparisons out there, but none as they relate to the Zebralight H51F. I'm curious which of these would be a better way to go and why. If anyone has any other suggestions for a floody headlamp, please throw them out there.

I will be using this headlamp primarily for around camp. I cant imagine I will be doing much night hiking with it.

Thanks

Don't stop with hiking. Think pocket EDC. Think blackout. Think workshop light. Think flashlight. Think travel light. How often do you hike? How often do you need a handy EDC light around the house, at work, etc.? Get the H51F, do a lanyard headband mod, and add a couple of magnets. It will let you do all those things with a single light and might just make all your other lights irrelevant, as it did for me. Look at the ways you can use a ZL angle light below.

Pocket EDC
DeepclipX1-1.jpg

Headlamp
HeadlampsX1.jpg

Flashlight
HandlightX1.jpg

Neck light
ForDeanH4.jpg

Workshop light
H51X1.jpg

Desk lamp
ForDeanH3.jpg

Hat or shirt light
Moreuses.jpg

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the continued responses guys - I took a look at the Sparks, but I think I am drawn to the more compact design of the ZLs...

I went ahead and ordered a H31W and am sure I will love it!!! Haven't gone non-surefire/malkoff/Ra in ages so this will be a nice switch.

@David - awesome pics and ideas!!! I think that this light will come to live in my edc bag...

I'm a little remorseful that I didnt go for the flood, but I figure it should be easy enough to make a diffuser and then I'll have 2 lights vs 1. Will the H31 be too spotty for reading at night on low? I might just go ahead and order a Flood and return the one I like least...

raphaello

Newly Enlightened
How are you defining "better"? Most of my reading seems to suggest that they aren't built as well but are brighter and of course you can get to the lens to switch between frosted and clear lens.

With the Zebralight you have an excellend UI and built quality.

Would you disagree with that assessment? Also what about weight?

Ok, here we go ...

Spark
- Excellent built quality! (I know this not from reading forums but from owning both Zebra and Spark headlamps)
- Simple UI - just hold and choose which mode you want, double click at any time for "super".
- Using XM-L emitter - IMO the flood beam of the XM-L is WAY better suited for almost everything that you are going to use it
- Having the choice to switch between frosted and clear lens (like you have mentioned)
- the T-form of the headlamp. Again, IMO feels more natural than Zebralight. Another plus for the form factor is that you can wear a hood, or a cap, or something else that will not cover the lens of the headlamp (unlike Zebra !)
- Weight - Spark is just 20 grams heavier than Zebra. You barely can notice the difference ...

I hope I answered you question ... Take care :thumbsup:

raphaello

Newly Enlightened
raphaello,

On 09/18/11 you asked about the Zebra H51 and Spark ST5-220CW in this thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Looking-for-a-headlamp.-Suggestions-welcomed-!

I was under the impression that you were buying the Spark. Are you now saying you bought both lights? The lights you asked about are apples and oranges. But you already know that, since you own both right?

Yes, but I decided to pull the trigger on both of them :devil: so I can have first hand experience with them. And to be honest I don't feel sorry at all - they both have their pluses, I just personally think, after playing with both, that Spark is the better one for me and I wrote why on the above post (don't see anything wrong with that)

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the continued responses guys - I took a look at the Sparks, but I think I am drawn to the more compact design of the ZLs...

I went ahead and ordered a H31W and am sure I will love it!!! Haven't gone non-surefire/malkoff/Ra in ages so this will be a nice switch.

@David - awesome pics and ideas!!! I think that this light will come to live in my edc bag...

I'm a little remorseful that I didnt go for the flood, but I figure it should be easy enough to make a diffuser and then I'll have 2 lights vs 1. Will the H31 be too spotty for reading at night on low? I might just go ahead and order a Flood and return the one I like least...

A diffuser on a non-flood version helps smooth out the beam a little, but at the expense of a small loss of light. It's best to buy both and return the one you like less, if possible.

Pocket EDC is one of two things that set ZL headlamps apart. I am trying to get people to pocket-carry their ZL headlamps, hence the lanyard headband mod. Otherwise, they will just sit in a bag like many of those bulky jockstrap headlamps. What's that saying again? The only useful tools is the one you have with you when you need it.

Last edited:

dwong

Newly Enlightened
good info, I was thinking the ZL AA and SF SM soon to be AA version for 90%hike10%camp usage.