Mag 3D Quad XM-L T6

D

darkslayer

Being discontent with my first build I decided to step it up a notch. It was a single SST-90 run off of a buck driver H6Flex off 3 li-ion cells (12.6v). Now I'm running 4 xm-l in a 2s || 2s arrangement driven by the same H6Flex and battery. Current is set to 6 amps on high. There are five levels of brightness.

I did all metal cutting and shaping by hand. The copper disc is from 1/8 rectangle stock. The LEDs from Cutter. T6 flux. 1D tint. The optic from DX.

Quad_XM-L_inthemaking.jpg

Thermal epoxy the emitters in place. Measured, marked cross-hairs in pencil, used compass to draw circle to locate the LEDs. Wired 2s2p.

QuadXM-L_Copper.jpg

Thermal epoxy and a screw to hold disc to slug. The slug started as 1.375 copper rod. Too big, had to sand diameter down to size to fit Mag body. A screw let me chuck the slug to my drill to help with sanding. Took Two hours of sanding finally got it to fit.

QuadXM-L_Copperhead.jpg

Aluminum pieces sink the H6Flex. Thermal tape holds the driver to the sink.

QuadXM-L_Copperhead_drivermount.jpg

What it looks like.

Mag3D_Quad_XM-L2.jpg

Yeah, it works. It blazes. Of course this is low. (50mA)

QuadXM-L_MagLite3d.jpg

Door is 23 wide. Lighthead is 48 away from surface. The corner of a table cast a quadruple shadow on the wall by the file cabinet.

Quad_XM-L_beamshot.jpg

White huge spot. Ever so slight yellow corona. Ever so slight purple spill. Mostly white tho'.