SC51Fw Is Not Worth It

holygeez03

Enlightened
As an early adopter of the SC51Fw, hopefully I can help some others considering this option when it becomes more available...

I thought that I would love a neutral tint, flood beam with a ton of output in a very small form factor. I have a Quark AA2 Neutral for outdoor use and a H501w for up-close and headlight use... I thought the SC51Fw would fit nicely in between for indoor use or closer range outdoor use.

Unfortunately the frosted lens is not all that impressive and nothing close to the diffusing performance of the H501w. I really don't think it does any better than scotch tape over the lens, and possibly not as uniform.

The rest of the light is awesome, as expected, but I will be sending back the Fw and replacing it with a regular SC51w. I will likely keep scotch tape on the lens for diffusing, with the added bonus of being able to remove the tape for longer distance use.

EDIT: For any one that absolutely wants a flood-ish beam, all the time, and has no interest in any sort of DIY diffuser (tape, film, sanding, etc.), the SC51Fw does work and the beam is pleasant. My point is that it isnt a brighter H501w beam, which is what I had hoped for...