New McLux -PR (pelican reflector)

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I received some new heads today and built two of them out with a 1W and 5W for purpose of function testing. This is a head I have shown in prototype form before. It has an integral bulkhead for optimal thermal relief much as the original McLux. This head uses the E-can for the electronics and the front end uses the PM6 reflector. The LED cavity shoulder stops the reflector in a position optimized for the 1W HD Luxeons. The reflector can be shimmed by about .020" up from the stop to remove the null if a 5W HD is used. The mineral glass lens is sandwiched between two O-rings in the bezel cap and the head should be waterproof. I have no idea of its pressure resistance.

McLux-PR1.jpg

McLux-PR2.jpg

These parts came out very nice upon first inspection. Next will be a trip to the anodizer for black HA. Some of these should make it to Wayne's shoppe for DIY use.

- Don

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don

Can you tell me what the outermost diameter of the Pelican M6 reflector is? in mm if you can.

TIA

Darell

Flashaholic
Uh-oh. Time to upgrade the L4, I see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I like the style! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
VEEEEEEEERYYYYY nice !!!
I saw the prototypes and got excited from them.

These look GREAT. DOnt change a thing.

Do you have any idea when they will be avalible, and what the cost will me?

Or what the coating options will be?
Id like them either non-coated, or two toned like the original Mclux heads.

yclo

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto that... Or upgrade the McLux.

Raindrop

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
yclo said:
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto that... Or upgrade the McLux.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto your ditto /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif That's a head that would look great on those extra McLux 2x123 and 3x123 bodies I have been hording / saving for this type of head. Now I just have to figure out a way to get them potted. Black HA would make for a nice two tone 2x123 and a great "tactical" all black 3x123.

jcciv

Newly Enlightened
YEAH!!! I have been waiting for this since you mentioned it in a post over a month ago, I think. Now I have ONLY another 2 months or so to wait until I have one!!

These look GREAT. I relly like the light from the Pelican reflector.

Any chance of also selling a shim for the 5W LEDs? Should the shim be attached with conductive epoxy or arctic alumina?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man that guy does great work. Can't wait for them in the shop. Hope there's enough to go around for everyone here.

CM

paulr

Flashaholic
Nice work! It would also look good in a bead blast like the McLux TK head.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Thanks guys.

Well I can't be having these heads done in different textures and different colors. I suppose I could leave some natural so DIY's could do what ever they want. I'll have a better feel when I get back home and contact a local anodizer.

As far as shimming the reflector for the 5W, on the one I built to test, I placed a circle of 30 gauge insulated wire down on the reflector stop and it worked perfectly. One could "paint" the bottom lip of the reflector with AA or AS and then sand it down to the desired thickness. I don't think this is going to be to difficult to deal with.

I sure like the PM6 reflector! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

- Don

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
oh..could you offer unribbed ones also? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif :cringe:

really don, looks great!

Y2Kirk1028

Enlightened
Beautiful work as always Don. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

If this can work with the Legend LX, the natural color will match the body perfectly. But unfornately putting this on an LX will require too much work.