• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Mac or Malkoff Mag Drop in?

Z

z_Lumenologist

So I have this nice old 3-D cell stock Maglight with a D serial number. I see Macs has a $99 drop in and Malkoff has a $69 drop in module. I want to use three 10,000mah or 12,000mah NIMH batteries and not chop it up initially. Maybe in the future I could try other battery combinations or a hotwire type set up.

But for now, I want impressive, adjustible light with decent run times. Can someone tell me the difference between the emitters used in the two modules? Your reccomendations on color temp (if available) would also be appreciated. And if there is another good option, I am not opposed do buying components and doing some of my own fab work. I have plenty of tools, but would be a total rookie at modding flashlight. If there is some other great option, please enlighten me.

I also have a 30 year old 2 D-cell Streamlight that, from the outside looks like a Maglight. Internally, it is very similar also, but not identical. I am thinking about a 1 watt LED bulb ($12) and the same batteries as above for a rugged, long run time, utility flashlight.