Aynone been to the Yellowstone National Park?

Spango

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone been to the Yellowstone National Park? Heard that its a great place, and I would like to visit it when I have the chance! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Been there 5 times. First time '66. Last time '95. It's well worth going. If possible, give your self at least a week for the park alone. My father went there in the Depression with his grandfather and sister. They used a Model A or T Ford converted for camping. I can't imagine what that trip must have been like. It's amazing to see the changes in the park over the years. If I ever get a chance to go again, I want to go after Labor Day when the crowds are gone.
oldgrandpajack

Darkaway

Enlightened
I was there in June of '02. It was very crowded even though it was early in the season; the campgrounds had just opened a few weeks before. While driving some roads I felt like I was back in downtown L.A. traffic. I had to wait in line to use the parking lot restrooms.

Crowds aside, it's a wonderful place. We spent four days there which IMO is the minimum if you really want to see the place. I highly recommend the Norris Geyser Basin. You can easily spend an entire day there if you want to hike the loop and wait for some geyser activity.

If you're going to be south of Yellowstone, don't overlook The Grand Tetons. I liked that park almost as much as Yellowstone.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you are there, do reflect on the fact that Yellowstone is a Super Volcano, that is priming for a truly Catastrophic eruption sometime in the next 200,000 years (no telling when as these eruptions are too rare). The Caldera is like 40 KM x 20 KM, and the center is uplifting (bulging up), cause the Magma chamber (40 KM x 20 KM X 10 KM thick) is expanding and pressure is building. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LukeK

Enlightened
I've been once on a 1 week camping trip with my family. It was fabulous. Fantastic scenery, great weather (when we were there) and just an all around great trip! Definitely visit (and CAMP) if you have the chance. (The Tetons are also pretty great)

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Also, don't miss the chance to catch a Yellowstone Cutthroat trout. They're native to the rivers there, and don't really live in many other places. (can you tell I'm a fisherman?)

Yellowstone is a VERY unique place. Nowhere else like it on Earth! Truely a lifetime experience!

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to Yellowstone once. In 1956 I was taking a surveying course in Wyoming. One weekend, the entire class (about 25 of us) piled into a yellow school bus and drove through the park. That's not the way to do it. I saw some bears, some fountains, some ponds of hot water. Not too exciting.

If I go again, I'll follow oldgrandajack's advice and spend a lot longer.

Another problem was that I was just too young to appreciate it. Being young can be a big disadvantage. The young don't know what "savor" means. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Paul

Screehopper

Enlightened
I was there in November 2001. No crowds then so it was nothing like Darkaway's experience. Then again it was about -5 degrees C while I was there. So it was extremely peaceful. But since the main season was over the majority of the lodges and stores were closed for the winter.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
[ QUOTE ]
Charles Bradshaw said:
When you are there, do reflect on the fact that Yellowstone is a Super Volcano, that is priming for a truly Catastrophic eruption sometime in the next 200,000 years (no telling when as these eruptions are too rare). The Caldera is like 40 KM x 20 KM, and the center is uplifting (bulging up), cause the Magma chamber (40 KM x 20 KM X 10 KM thick) is expanding and pressure is building. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Yellowstone Volcano Observatory That's the USGS site that talks about it a little, a LOT of bad links in it though.
My guess is it will erupt when the asteroid that David was talking about hits it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
JUst found this site offering a light view of Armagedon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
YVO is an interesting website. I said reflect on, not worry about it. The last such eruption (Mt. Toba, approx. 74,000 years ago) nearly wiped us out (nearly extinct). That should give a good approximation of the magnitude of a super volcano eruption.

What scientists call the 'main eruption' of Krakatoa, around 538 A.D., put us into the Dark Ages, via nearly 2 years without a growing season. Global temps dropped that far, and that eruption split the island in two. It is recorded in the Book of Kings. This is from a Nova episode, where scientists were tracing down the cause of the Dark Ages. They also mention that Krakatoa has a gigantic caldera on the ocean bottom (recent discovery).

Something stand in awe of the tremendous volcanic power, beneath your feet, while you are there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif