Life+Gear 3aa Light

5Sport

Enlightened
Has anyone tried this light? How bright is the LED. I was thinking of something for my kids if it is bright enough to take camping. They are 20.00 for 6 of them at Costco, or 5.00 a piece at Staples. A waste of money, or a good value? Your input and a beamshot would be helpful.

Thanks.

cistallus

Enlightened
Rest of the original thread as recovered from cache

Re: Life+Gear 3aa Light
Written by ZMZ67 on 01-30-2011 01:19 AM GMT

I don't have that particular light but I have bought life-gear lightsticks for my kids and they seem to have reasonably decent construction for the price.The main issue I disliked with the lightsticks and some of the other life-gear lights I have seen is the use of button cell batteries.These use AAs and even if they are only using 5MM LEDs $20 for six lights seems like a steal.The kids should enjoy the lights features and you will not be out much if one gets lost or broken.The life-gear lightsticks I gave the kids are sufficient for most camping needs and these should prove better.A cpf search may yield better information if you have not already tried.If it were me I would just take the chance on the 6-pack, unfortunately I don't have a local Costco.

Written by 5Sport on 01-30-2011 04:51 PM GMT

Do you know what type of LED it has?

Written by ZMZ67 on 01-30-2011 11:12 PM GMT

5Sport said:
Do you know what type of LED it has?
No I couldn't even find a good, bezel facing picture to look at!The lightsticks use 5MM and the larger spot lantern uses multiple 5MM(I think) so it serves to reason that it is probably a single 5MM.Home Depot's site lists the output as 15 lumens.That isn't a lot but probably adequate most of the time for camping,especially if there is no ambient light.I still think they are a good deal at the Costco price even at that output.Seems like it would be a fun light for the kids with the added plus of easy to replace AAs. No I couldn't even find a good, bezel facing picture to look at!The lightsticks use 5MM and the larger spot lantern uses multiple 5MM(I think) so it serves to reason that it is probably a single 5MM.Home Depot's site lists the output as 15 lumens.That isn't a lot but probably adequate most of the time for camping,especially if there is no ambient light.I still think they are a good deal at the Costco price even at that output.Seems like it would be a fun light for the kids with the added plus of easy to replace AAs.

Written by cistallus on 01-31-2011 04:10 AM GMT

I have one - the LifeGear Glow LED light - 3AA (included) - white beam, red steady/flashing translucent tail, waterproof/floats, can store stuff in tail - about size of 2D mag light but lightweight, plastic; hanging loop on rear, lanyard holes/anti-roll ridge on front - does have thin O-rings front and back - $4 on sale at a local store (regular $7). The white LED must be a 5mm, it's not very bright, and in the relatively large reflector it is pretty much just throw, no spill. I'd guess maybe 10-15 lumens. Kids might find the multiple modes and the red flashing mode fun. Here's the manufacturer page on it:http://www.lifegearcompany.com/glow_flashlight.html

Written by ZMZ67 on 01-31-2011 08:58 AM GMT

Was at Menards this morning and they had this light in a 3-pack for $9.98.I couldn't resist! :laughing: The main LED is a 10MM and the 15 lumen figure is probably about right.Like CISTALLUS points out, the large smooth reflector creates some throw and a prominent hotspot.There is a wide spill but it is not very bright, most of the light is in the hotspot.Its actually about the same size as a typical plastic 2D flashlight.The batteries are in a carrier that probably won't take too much abuse but should be OK as long the light is closed up.The secondary red LED is a 5MM and lights up the translucent tail pretty well.You might be able to diffuse the main beam with tape or Glad press-n-seal.Not really "robust" construction but all in all I am happy with this light at $3.33 each.If it holds up half-way decent I will probably buy more and stick them in the cars with lithium AAs.One other thing,while the tint of the white LED is nothing special it wasn't noticably blue like my Fenix EO1 either.

Written by 5Sport on 01-31-2011 02:02 PM GMT

If I could find a three pack, I would just buy it too.

Now for the 64.00 question, can the LED be easily modded? :naughty:

Written by ZMZ67 on 02-03-2011 02:30 AM GMT

Everything- LEDs,switch and electronics are part of the battery carrier.I didn't pay too much attention to this at first but looked again after you mentioned modding.The rest of the light is essentially a shell that the carrier fits into.I really don't know much about modding but you should have fairly easy access to everything since the carrier comes out of the light body.Not really sure what improvements could actually be made since there is no way to get rid of the heat that a more powerful LED would create.