Rotary control flashlight best example

Streak

Enlightened
I need to purchase a flashlight that best demonstrates mode changing by twisting a rotary switch.

Surefire has the U2 Ultra, Fenix has the TA20,21 and 30 and HDS has the EDC Rotary.

Are these the only ones or are there others?

Without having to spend an arm and a leg which would be the best to buy that would demonstrate this feature of mode changing?

Thanks

nbp

Flashaholic
Don't forget the Surefire Titan and its progeny, the T1A, which is an infinitely variable light operated by a rotary function. Phenomenal little lights. My T1A has claimed a spot as my bedside light, and I don't see it being bumped anytime soon. From a barely visible glow on the emitter to a 70 lm wall of light and all between, it's ready for my late night illumination tasks. Maybe not as rugged as the others mentioned, for my purposes it performs perfectly. Oh and I just feed it old cells out of my Ra Clickies when they can't sustain high mode anymore, so its pretty efficient.

Nachtwacht

Newly Enlightened
The following flashlights I can think of also use a rotary control near the head:
- the RRT-0 and RRT-3 from Jetbeam;
- the M2C4, M2XC4 and M2SC4 from Eagletac;
- the V10R, M30R,... from Sunwayman.

And of course the very highly anticipated (not available yet) new SureFires: UBR Invictus, UNR Commander, UAR Aviator, UB3T Invictus).

Some flashlights use a selector ring incorporated in the tailcap, for example the new Thrunite Scorpion XM-L.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at the Jetbeam RRT-0 infinite variable instead. It has the same UI as the Nitecore and is brighter. Also flexible in that it could take any type of AA sized batteries including 14500 with the additional extender. The clicky switch feels firmer than the Nitecore and it can tail stand. The rotary control ring is smoother too. I once owned the IFE1 infinite variable but I changed it to the RRT-0 and has been much happier.

Mgizler

Enlightened
Have a look at the Jetbeam RRT-0 infinite variable instead. It has the same UI as the Nitecore and is brighter. Also flexible in that it could take any type of AA sized batteries including 14500 with the additional extender. The clicky switch feels firmer than the Nitecore and it can tail stand. The rotary control ring is smoother too. I once owned the IFE1 infinite variable but I changed it to the RRT-0 and has been much happier.

Agreed,
I had the RRT-0 for a little while. The light was great and the fact that you could switch it from a CR123 to an AA was a wonderful feature.

AlPal

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the advice. But I have heard from another post, that the switch had a spongy feel and was not as responsive as it should be. That is why I haven't ordered the RRT-0. Other than that, I really like these lights that have the rotary control ring. I'm sure I'll get a few.

RobME

Newly Enlightened

I did exactly the same; Briefly owned the IFE1 and immediately replaced it with the RRT-0 (R5). My own gripes were... (1)The control ring on the Nitecore was far too loose. (2)The clip's inner edges were sharp enough to shred pockets. (3)It couldn't tailstand. Although the latter is a non-issue for some and shouldn't detract from the desirability of this light. The RRT-0 (imo & by comparison), is a more refined, better built light. Superior feel to the control ring, with a smooth resistance that won't rotate by accident. It has a strobe and a hidden SOS mode (Features that I'll seldom if ever use, but it's nice to have them), and it tailstands. I find the 'spongy' switch a non-issue. Frequent need to hold the momentary on, may be an issue for some as the switch doesn't have much travel and so a sensitive finger strength/control is necessary.

AlPal

Newly Enlightened
I did exactly the same; Briefly owned the IFE1 and immediately replaced it with the RRT-0 (R5). My own gripes were... (1)The control ring on the Nitecore was far too loose. (2)The clip's inner edges were sharp enough to shred pockets. (3)It couldn't tailstand. Although the latter is a non-issue for some and shouldn't detract from the desirability of this light. The RRT-0 (imo & by comparison), is a more refined, better built light. Superior feel to the control ring, with a smooth resistance that won't rotate by accident. It has a strobe and a hidden SOS mode (Features that I'll seldom if ever use, but it's nice to have them), and it tailstands. I find the 'spongy' switch a non-issue. Frequent need to hold the momentary on, may be an issue for some as the switch doesn't have much travel and so a sensitive finger strength/control is necessary.

Thanks for the great advice. I'm convinced that the Jetbeam RRT-0 should be my next light. Does it come with the option of either an R2 emitter or an R5? I think I read that somewhere.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the advice. But I have heard from another post, that the switch had a spongy feel and was not as responsive as it should be. That is why I haven't ordered the RRT-0. Other than that, I really like these lights that have the rotary control ring. I'm sure I'll get a few.

Thanks for the great advice. I'm convinced that the Jetbeam RRT-0 should be my next light. Does it come with the option of either an R2 emitter or an R5? I think I read that somewhere.

It's XP-G R5. There are the newer XP-G S2 version coming up. Don't worry about the clicky of the RRT-0. It is spongy but it is tougher. The IFE1's clicky just feels very flimsy and is too soft to activate.