Pin Bulb Conversion Question For 4 "D" Cell Mag?

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pin Bulb Conversion Question For 4 \"D\" Cell Mag?

I have one of those PR base to pin bulb conversions for the mag. I want to use it in my 4XD cell mag. Being that I don't know much about pin bulbs, what would be your recommendations for a powerful pin bulb with brightness and pretty nice throw? Something better than the Xenon 3XD bulb I'm overdriving in it now which is not too bad.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Pin Bulb Conversion Question For 4

I thought a magcharger bulb wouldn't work with this?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

As long as you give it 5-6 volts of high current power, it should work. I don't think alkies will supply the current you need though. You could try 5 Cs in the 4D body.

Wilkey

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip Wilkey and thanks for the PR base! Where does one get the new magcharger bulb?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

You could pick up 5 NiMH C batteries off ebay or a battery website. 1.2v x 5 = 6volts. They'd pump out the current too!

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast

Isaac,
Good tip but I don't have anything to charge NiMH C or D's only NiMH AA's & AAA's. Would Elektrolumen's AA to D holders work? Also, does anyone know where to get the magcharger bulb?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Westinghouse and GenElec 12V 20W bipin bulbs should work nicely in a D body with a tubing spacer to allow 5xCR123. You could check zbattery.com or tactical warehouse for the bulb. I use 6XAA nimhs in 2 modded EL 3-D adaptors for a 7.2V Welch Allyn bulb. Nice.

Wilkey

Experiment_626

Newly Enlightened

I gutted a standard PR bulb and installed a Scorpion bulb into it. Great beam, focusable, and much brighter that the other 4 cell PR bulbs I had tried in the past.

I used high temp 2-part epoxy to secure the bulb in place, and it has gone thru 6 sets of batteries with no degradation in output as far as I can tell.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast

ubermensch,
I'm talking online sources not brick and mortar. I live very, very rural and have no brick and mortar sources available within 100 miles from me.

Boy, the variations with this PR base are overwhelming! Thanks to all for the recommendations!