Best AAA light for camping

• Thread starter z_trout_of_death
  • Start date
Z

z_trout_of_death

Hello, I'm new here. I have been looking online for the best AAA light for camping. It needs to have decent light output /w a high runtime. Best I found was fenix's E01.

The reason I am trying to find a AAA light is because all of my other gear runs on AAA and I would like to only have to carry one type of battery.

Thank you all in advance.

michman

Newly Enlightened
I have been using a Preon ReVo and have become quite fond of it. These lights are no longer made unfortunately, but Klarus has a near perfect version called the Mi10 which I also have. I recommend this light as its substitute; and it is $12 cheaper to boot!

The levels are:
L - 2 Lumens, sixty hours
M - 20 lumens, five hours
H - 80-60 lumens, 1.2 hours

Good power, great run times.

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
Thrunite Ti is a good choice because in complete darkness the firefly mode would come in handy. The runtime is probably insanely long on that mode. The max is somewhere around 60 lumens too, and that's probably as much light as you'd ever need.

The LD01 would be another good choice, as is the Klarus Mi X6.

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Z_trout of death --

Good Lord !

You've been a CPF Member for more than FOUR DECADES,
and yet this is yer' Very First Posting ! ! !

Truly a man of few words !

:bow:

_

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
to Z_trout of death --

Good Lord !

You've been a CPF Member for more than FOUR DECADES,
and yet this is yer' Very First Posting ! ! !

Truly a man of few words !

:bow:

_
This happens because his profile was "corrupted" in the last major CPF crash.

lwkeung

Newly Enlightened
I would have to stick by the Fenix E01. Near indestructible, and the long runtime will be great. The new Thunrite looks very interesting.
The Olight i3 with its 3 modes might prove useful too.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solarforce L2i. It uses 3 AAA batteries. It is a very nice and simple host. Get a Solarforce 3 mode H-M-L XP-G drop-in, and you'll be all set. Along with some good rechargeable Eneloops/Duraloops white tops.

tbenedict

Enlightened
The ITP A3 and Maratac vs have both served me quite well if you are looking for more output and less $$. I have tried the latest i3 version, I think it has a higher low which probably sacrifices runtime. Did I mention the A3 with the XPE has a beautiful beam pattern out to 50-60 feet?

Chidwack

Enlightened
I have found that some of the best lights for camping are headlamps. You always have light wherever you need it. I use my iTP H01 in this case if I use a light that uses AAA batteries.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah forgot about the h01. A headlamp is a life saver outdoors. I liked mine so mutch that i ordered a hi cri xp-g and modded it.

MattE

Newly Enlightened
You didnt mention a price level

If you want to spend more than the cost of a Fenix E01 I will suggest a Klarus Mi6. It has same form, however more useful and practical than E01.

If you want something real practical with a long battery life I will suggest MagLite XL200. Can be bought at Amazon for under USD 35. Runs a long time on 3 x AAA and has the best UI. Its the only light I take with me when I go camping.

Just my 2c.

varmint

Enlightened
I have the EO1,EO5 & the Olight I3 all AAA, if I had tp pick 1 it would be between the EO5 & I3. It would be the I3 hands down, it is new to me but its really growing on me an a #1 EDC light.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love the Revo. So like mentioned above, the Klarus Mi10 looks to be a great alternative. The SS material is very durable and stays looking great. You can always repair scratches too.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E01 runs forever on even a dead cell taken out from another flashlight. I presume you will be bringing more than just one flashlight on your camping trip...

lightman40

Newly Enlightened
I have two favorite AAA flashlights for camping. One is the Illumina CA1-TI and the second one is the 4Sevens Preon model PI-T. Both are great EDC lights and super bright. Also titanium is good if you don't want to see a lot of wear on the case.

kreisler

Banned
i vouch for the Lumintop Worm (exists in Aluminum and also Stainless Steel finish). i also own the Klarus MiX6 SS and the iTP A3 Titanium. My Klarus cant tailstand, the A3 either. People have been reporting that their A3 died on them after a few months (see wikipedia for Planned Obsolescence), so i am a little afraid of such a fate. Of course you can repair a A3 (e.g. by resoldering loosened cables) haha.

the Worm gives you the confidence that they would never fail, break or anything, on you. extreme high quality construction, built and finish, to last for ages. (and you also get FREE lifetime hassle-free guarantee.)

its not cheap though. you get what you pay for!

On a camping trip where 100% reliability (and long runtimes) are crucial criteria, i would prefer my Worm(s) to the hippy Klarus or the not-too-trustworthy A3.

it's been years though that i last went on a camping trip.

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite Ti is a good choice because in complete darkness the firefly mode would come in handy. The runtime is probably insanely long on that mode. The max is somewhere around 60 lumens too, and that's probably as much light as you'd ever need.

The LD01 would be another good choice, as is the Klarus Mi X6.

+1 for the Thrunite Ti (2 models are available ).

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I'd say any light that offers a very decent low output, soft, floody beam pattern coupled with some higher levels for when you need to see further out and are not going to be compromised by shrinking your pupils.

First light that came to mind for me too was the ReVO and the mostly unavailable LF2XT and the comments on the Klarus have me pretty interested in checking one out.