Two Firsts from Mirage_Man

donn_

Flashaholic
This project was fun (for me), and Mirage_Man has granted me permission to use some of his photos in documenting his latest build.

We started with a VME/Malkoff Titanium head:

IMGP3541.jpg

Made specifically to hold the legendary Malkoff M-Series drop-in:

IMGP3540.jpg

It's a great idea for a custom flashlight head, but I didn't like the look when it was added to a plain old E-Series body:

IMGP3543.jpg

It was a little better on a McGizmo clicky pack, but still not right, in my opinion:

IMGP3542.jpg

So I sent it off to Mirage_Man, asking him to devise a unitary body/tail in titanium, expressly for this head, and to slightly modify the head, as well.

The two Firsts are the first custom titanium body for a VME/Malkoff titanium head (I think), and Mirage_Mans first unitary titanium body/tail combination.

The process began, of course, with complex engineering drawings by Mirage_Man, and the fitting of the blank for the body:

M_M_VME_Malkoff3.jpg

M_M_VME_Malkoff11.jpg

M_M_VME_Malkoff12.jpg

M_M_VME_Malkoff10.jpg

I thought the original look of the head was a bit too minimalist, so I asked him to add fins all the way from the original single fin, down to the junction with the body:

M_M_VME_Malkoff2.jpg

M_M_VME_Malkoff4.jpg

The body was then trimmed down and finned to mimic the look of the head:

M_M_VME_Malkoff7.jpg

He sent it back to me, and I installed a Malkoff M30WF and an AW RCR123.

I took a few more photos, testing my new camera and light tent:

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

Note how Brian mimicked the look of the front of the head, on the back of the tail. Nice touch!

DSC_0040.jpg

Great job, Brian! It's a fantastic little light.:thumbsup: