"Pre-distressed" Surefire E2E

fyrstormer

Banned
Ever since I discovered titanium lights, the fact that anodized aluminum inevitably gets damaged has been the main reason Ive stayed away from less-expensive lights. Well, a few months ago I bought an E2E (my first high-end incan ever), used it while working on my car, dropped it on the pavement, and took one look at the dings and went back to using my Ti lights.

Last night I remembered seeing some Surefires that had been in-use for years and had wear marks all over them. I remembered thinking that they really didnt look so bad, and it was really the first scratch problem that gave me a distaste for anodizing. I was bored, and I have a bench grinder in the garage, so I decided to dig out the E2E and see what would happen if I pre-distressed the anodizing using a wire wheel. This is what I got:

CIMG4674.jpg

CIMG4675.jpg

CIMG4676.jpg

For artificial antiquing, I think it came out pretty well. I'm particularly pleased with the way the corners on the anti-roll portion of the bezel came out, and the knurling feels a lot smoother in my hands. I think this one's ready to get dropped on the pavement some more. :devil: