Can this be the brightest 2AA flashlight?

Velcro

Enlightened
Can this be the brightest 2AA flashlight?

wp-902bu.jpg

Lectro-Science Mini Sport.

It is supposed to have 10,000 CP
shocked.gif

http://www.lectro-sci.com/flshlite.htm

LSI also states:
Waterproof to 500 feet and shockproof. Will withstand a 30 foot drop on concrete. Perfect for outdoor sports. 2 "AA" cells included.

So the big question is; does anyone own this flashlight?
smile.gif

Greetings,
Velcro

Velcro

Enlightened
Btw, the LSI Mini Sport uses an Xenon bulb. It's also available in black, yellow or blue. http://www.lectro-sci.com/spcialty.htm

Didn't this flashlight feature in an X-Files episode once or twice ? If I recall correct Mulder and Scully both had a small flashlight in one or two episodes that had a clear plastic lens thingy just like the LSI Mini Sport. I remember that it put out a very nice beam.

Greetings
Velcro

artar

Enlightened
How about this light (costs DM 30,- in Germany):
magplus.jpg

http://www.pelican.com/main.htm

#2340 Magnum PlusTM 2AA

Product Description

The Magnum PlusTM 2AA is 61/4" in length and is equipped with a handy tail button switch (on/off and intermittent). The MagnumTM Plus 2AA is made of an unbreakable chemical resistant resin with a polycarbonate lens and thermoplastic rubber shroud. Catalog #2340C includes a pre-focused Xenon Laser SpotTM lamp module, shirt clip, and 2 AA-cell Energizer alkaline batteries. The Magnum PlusTM 2AA is water-resistant (but not for scuba applications) and is safety approved for FM, CSA, MSHA, and UL. Like all Pelican products, the Magnum PlusTM 2AA is made in the USA and backed by Pelican's Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee. NON-SUBMERSIBLE.

Product Specifications

Size: 6 1/4" L
Candlepower: 8,000
Battery Burntime: 3 hours @ 10°C/50°F
Color: Black, Yellow
Lamp Life: 20 Hours
Accessories: #2304 Replacement Lamp Module

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note that one some lights of this type, the manufacturer pumps up the candlepower just by focusing the reflector more tightly. This means no more light is emitted than any other light, but it's focussed into an extremely tight bright beam that isn't useful for much. I don't have either of these lights, but I think I've heard that rap on the Magnum -- pencil-thin bright beam that isn't very useable.

The X-files folks often carried UKE lights, which also have (or had) the clear plastic lens cover, so it could've been a UKE you saw as well!

Joe

Size15's

Flashaholic
On the subject of X-Files, I'm sure I saw The Scully with a 6Z and Mulder with something brighter - maybe a 9Z.
I've been told that the SureFire 6Z is FBI standard issue.
In the past, X-Files has used Scorpions and MaxaBeams...

I believe I remember those other flashlights mentioned above. Was more interested in Gillian Anderson back then!
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif

Now I'm always trying to work out what flashlight they're using in TV shows / Movies. I am a Flashaholic
grin.gif

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I skimmed through the posts in this thread (you guys are keeping me from attending to much needed forum maintenance.) and if you include rechargeable lights I believe the Pelican M7 would be the brightest 2AA flashlight. It's advertised at 16,000 cp. I don't have one but I put a replacement lamp in my VersaBrite II and energizer nicads. It uses a very narrow beam to get that high rating.

I did put a Carley Lamps Krypton Star rechargeable bulb in a Tec-20 with the energizers. It was good for 20 minutes. 30-40 minutes with new nicads. That was amazingly bright. Somewhere between a 2D and 3D MagLite with a Carley Lamps Xenon Star bulb. It got hot though. Loosened the rubber cover so it wouldn't fit tight anymore. And the reflector started to flake.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now I'm always trying to work out what flashlight they're using in TV shows / Movies. I am a Flashaholic
grin.gif

Me too! I always wondered what those enormous blinding blueish-white beam lanterns they flashed around smoke filled warehouses were, and always wanted one too! (can`t resist a woman with a big torch....ahem....
tongue.gif
) Still do......one day it will be mine....until then I think Mulder`s 9Z will do. I bought one off ebay last night...just couldn`t go without a SureFire light any longer...want the 200 lumen P91 bulb for it too
shocked.gif
.....I am definately a hopeless certified flashaholic too!

shocked.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif

(has the world gone mad or is it me
confused.gif
??? )

artar

Enlightened
I own 3 mini mag 2aa, 1 streamlight 2aa and 1 osram halogen 2aa.
in my experience, the beam quality and brightness order is
1. (the best) streamlight 2aa
2. osram halogen 2aa
3. mini mag 2aa.
I used the mini mag the last 5 years, i thought that it was the best on earth and i was satisfied altought the light output of the minimag was not the best. Now i am only using the streamlight 2aa and i think its the best 2aa, but i experienced that the light of any 2aa is not enough in the dark. I dont know the lumen rating of an 2aa either i have the SF E2 to compare. Therefore i ogle with buying a 4aa flashlight (streamlight proPoly 4aa). if it has the double brightness of the streamlight 2aa, it will serve my needs until i get the E2.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Which ever 4AA you go for, there is a huge improvement. I almost think a 2AA is a waste of time as I've got SureFires for miniture flashlights. The 4AAs have the advantages of small/compact, bright, cheap to run & easy to find batteries, long (compared to SureFires) runtime, and most of the big brands (SteamLight/Pelican/UKE etc) are tough as, and most are waterproof...

So I'm not just a SureFire Freak, I'm looking to Demo the UKE and StreamLights 4AA against my Pelicans.

Al

Spidey82

Enlightened
one thing i fing abt the mini mag light is that it can run on battries that r almost dead.
smile.gif
try putting a set of battries that can nolonger power most light and dump them in to minimag, it will still work.

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Millinship:
I bought one off ebay last night...just couldn`t go without a SureFire light any longer...want the 200 lumen P91 bulb for it too
shocked.gif
.....I am definately a hopeless certified flashaholic too!

shocked.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif

(has the world gone mad or is it me
confused.gif
??? )
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

:nosy: :nosy: :nosy: What price did you give for your 9Z? And since they're not in the SureFire catalog any more, how used is it?

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
:nosy: :nosy: :nosy: What price did you give for your 9Z?

mind your own business!!
wink.gif
grin.gif

no seriously, er, it was, looking through emails to find the confirmation, ah there it is- "buy-it-NOW" price $86 plus shipping.
Are they not made any more then? It`s new as far as the listing goes (it better be), and there`s another one up for sale too with probably more still in the future, at...
http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=budam&include=0&since=-1&sort=2&rows=25

They werre also selling 6Zs as well but not right this second, must have ended...

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI, I'm going off the 2001 flashlight catalog they have as a PDF on their site. Don't know... I think now the 9Z designation has been discontinued, and the Z3 is being used. Give the 9Z an anti-roll bezel and a lock-out tailcap, and it looks the same to me. Same lamp assembly & battery requirements, even.

Good price on the 9Z, btw... MSRP on the Z3 with the 105-lumen/60-minute P90 lamp assembly is $109.99.

I got a used 9Z at the beginning of March for $36.55, and, now that I can get cheap Li CR123s, I'm very very pleased with it. When I thought I had to pay almost $20 to feed the thing, I was pretty loath to use it, and kept it in my briefcase as a backup light for emergency use only. Once I found $2 batteries, I started actually using the thing. Boy, what fun!

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once I found $2 batteries, I started actually using the thing. Boy, what fun!

I know of a web site here in the UK (posted a link to it ages ago) that sells 123s for just under GB£1 each, that`s about US$1.50! Not Duracells though (I think they are Panasonic) but for that price a slightly reduced run time isn`t too important, so long as it`s not that bad. A few minutes less is OK.
I`ll probably still use LED lights for everyday use and whip out the 9Z when I need more power!

By the way what`s the best price you`ve seen for the P91 lamp? Those guys off ebay don`t have them in stock right now, and I just like the idea of having a 6 inch long light that gives out 200 lumens!!

tongue.gif
shocked.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Yup!

The SureFire Z41 LockOut TailCap (black) will fit your 9Z. It's an excellent accessory. I'd say it's a vital feature. When I get the MN61 & MN60 for my 12PM, I'll buy a Z41 for it from Tim while I'm at it.

Having tried the LockOut TailCap from my C2 on the 12PM, it works, but I should add that because the 12PM has only one o-ring seal, the LockedOut position doesn't feel as tight. Even so, it works great, and will be well worth getting.

Al

Size15's

Flashaholic
My advice on getting SureFire bits is to buy from Tim Flanagan. Lamp Modules etc should be very easy to post to the UK.

The Z2 & Z3 replace the 6Z & 9Z. I think it's a great thing that the LockOut TailCap is now included as standard across the C, D, Z & M series.

Al

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:
The Z2 & Z3 replace the 6Z & 9Z. I think it's a great thing that the LockOut TailCap is now included as standard across the C, D, Z & M series.

Al
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now here's my question... will a Z3 lock-out tailcap fit & work on my 9Z?

Size15's

Flashaholic
The Z41 is usually about $20-25.

I'm thinking of it as a small price to pay for peace of mind. Saving unintended battery drain, saving the Lexan Lens, and saving anything that would have been damaged by the intense heat produced by SureFires.

Al