Brief review of the new 4Sevens Maelstrom S12

desertrat21

Newly Enlightened
I just thought I'd share a little write-up on a light that turned out to be quite a pleasant surprise for me. Field season's right around the corner and this one's going to be getting quite the workout.

The Gear Bagger : Maelstrom S12

*edited with more beamshots... time lapse showing the thermal regulation as well as comparison shots with a Thrunite Catapult.

DSC_0771%20copy.jpg

Last edited:

Walleee

Newly Enlightened
desertrat21's review a few weeks ago prompted me to get the Maelstrom S12. His beamshots showed the pattern to be exactly what I was looking for. I have been very happy with the light; his photos are consistent with the performance of my light.

Wally

desertrat21

Newly Enlightened
The review was lost when CPF went down. Sasha and the wonderful admins have restored it but the link was broken. I've fixed it. Enjoy. :thumbsup:

nunnya

Newly Enlightened
Is it weapon mountable?
Does it handle recoil well?

Thanks,
nunnya

IMSabbel

Enlightened
I remember the thread with the screenshots of the intensity drop from before the purge.

Imho, its quite dishonest to post them in a review without disclosing that they were made in _bitter_ cold, iirc below 0 F.

Edit: Ok, the temperature is mentioned in the middle of the review. Still not convinced about that light. 3 minute overheating override just stinks (as ISO lumens are meassured after 3min. Thats no coincidence)

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know you are refering to the gif in the review. But just for the record, my timlapse beamshots were made at about 21°C/70°F.

Eric

sirimaxi

Newly Enlightened
Nice flashlight, but I will wait for the price of the X10 to compare and pull the trigger.

brandocommando

Enlightened
Great review, very thorough and informative, just what I have been looking for thank you. The gif. (both of them) was very telling as to the effects of the thermal management. It must have taken you a while to do that, I really appreciate the effort. Maelstrom S12 inbound!

Last edited:

Southernfriedgator

Newly Enlightened
desertrat21's review a few weeks ago prompted me to get the Maelstrom S12. His beamshots showed the pattern to be exactly what I was looking for. I have been very happy with the light; his photos are consistent with the performance of my light.

Wally

Same here. Excellent review. :thanks:

I was fortunate enough to read this thread before CPF went down an all of the info was a great help in making my decision. So far I'm lovin' my S12 and the thermal regulation has not been noticeable during normal use.

Portaphile

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a second hand S12 and I am wondering if something I'm experiencing is normal for this light. When i switch between high and low, or whenever the light turns on to the high setting, there is a very fast change in brightness as if the light first turns on low but then goes hi right away. When it turns on to low mode, there isn't any change in brightness, it just turns on to low. It just happens when it turns on to high. Is anyone else experiencing this with their S12?