Newbie checking in with question and pic

762x51

Newly Enlightened
Hey all....the fine people on thehighroad.org showed me this site about 3 months ago and I have been reading and learning ever since. While confusing at times, I think I am finally catching on to some stuff. I decided to finally order some lights after much reading and they came in this afternoon. I'm hooked. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

One question....The Inova X5T, while very nice, isn't quite as bright as I expected. Is a 1W Luxeon substantially brighter? How about the throw? Similar?

Thanks all! Here is a pic of my NEW toys with some of my favorite toys. Can you tell I like green? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

HighSpeed-Low.jpg

Size15's

Flashaholic
762x51,
Welceom to CPF!

Good photo. You know that SureFire have an Olive Drab Lanyard that matches the G2-OD rather well? It's the Z28.
You'll need a Z26 TailCap Lanyard Ring for the G2 as well.

My X5T doesn't throw anywhere close to that of the 1W Luxeons I have.

Al

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are looking for throw with a 1 watt luxeon, look for a light that uses the 30mm optics.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've been impressed with the tight beam of my Streamlight TL-2 LED.
It uses a 1.2 watt Luxeon with a stippled reflector.

As far as I can tell, it uses a HD (high dome) Luxeon.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
762x51
Welcome to CPF
So what caliber is your rifle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
There is a member here called 308.
My son loves green also, are you going to stick with green
bodies or are you going to get something with a green luxon?
I hope you enjoy CPF as much as I do.

762x51

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info folks...especially about the green lanyard. I was not aware of those...must....order...

Hoghead:
The rifle in the picture is a custom built AK in .223 caliber. Very fun rifle to shoot. No, I don't plan on sticking to green bodies, I'm open to anything. I just have this thing for OD green polymer right now. I'm sure I'm going to regret it later. If there are any other OD green lights out there that I really need, please let me know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
Welcome to the forum.

NICE AK !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Modded to .223 huh? Very interstesting.
Nice knife to, I have that one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

No, the Inova X5T was not ment for throw.
Just about any 1Wer will throw better.
My Arc LSH-P kills my X5T. The Arc LSH-P will out perform a 2D M*g.

P.S. Streamlight has alot of good lights in O.D green. I have the SL PP 3C 10-LED in OD green,,, and the SL PP 4AA 7-LED in black. Both a very useful flood of light.

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy-Nice image. You have good taste in toys! johnfjensen(add .com) sold me a lanyard ring that fits the G2 without mods. It may be an older SF model lanyard ring. It is made of wire and also has a belt clip feature as well. It fits between the tail cap and body. Costs all of about $3.00 or such. And he has some SF black lanyards-but no OD that is listed. You can call him.

SureFire makes a Jungle Camo finish and you can find the E2eJC model still around if you look at some sponsors pages. These camos look right up your alley. The E2e is cool too-anyways.

I have an X5T. I like it for looks and feel, but as a light it is a dud! Get a skunk works team member colaboration light (modified commercially available flashlight) and then you can truley say that you have seen the light. I'd suggest a McModule DB700 R2H in a PM6 (Pelican host) with all the goodies. Wow!

Also, get Chris at Flashlightlens.com(a sponsor) to custom cut a glass lens for your OD G2. Then pop a P61 lamp assembly in there and watch out!! You will like that for sure.

I'd say a SureFire K4 is hard to beat for an off the shelf
LED wonder light. Catch one on sale somewhere..

A-6

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
762x51, Nice toys. I agree with an above post about a 1W high dome coupled with a 30mm or a modified PM6 reflector giving the best throw; rivals many high quality incandescent flashlights. Oh, and if you think you're taking on a new hobby that's cheaper than firearms, you're in for a surprise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Welcome to CPF, and hold on to your wallet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I think you'll have a great ride.

CM

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
P99 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

Nice 74.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I get it now... 7.62 x 51mm, but a .223?

Naw the inova was not the best pick if you want any kind of throw.

GregR

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi 762x51. Welcome to the forums. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Nice toys. Wish I could have some, but my wife would kill me. I don't recognise the knife. It's got the Benchmade logo, but it looks like the Emerson Raven. Dunno. Been out of the knife forums for too long.

Re: your question of throw and brightness, the average 1W LS is about as bright as 12 to 17 standard Nichia 5mm LEDs. Could be even more, depending on what rank of Nichias and which bin of LS you are comparing.

To get good throw, you need a point light source that can be focused, either with a reflector or a lens. Most reflectors on commercial flashlights produce 1deg to 5deg beams. Compare that to the 20deg viewing angle of a standard 5mm Nichia. I think the 30mm optics that people are starting to use in their LS mods has a much tighter angle, probably 10deg, but I don't think there is anything in lenses that is comparable to a good parabolic reflector yet. But the problem also lies in that you need a good, bright, point source. An array of 5mm Nichias may be as bright as a single bulb, but the array can't be properly focused, either with lenses or reflectors (unless you go for individual tuning). So people use 1W LS and 5W LS and try to overdrive them for the brightest possible point source, which they can then focus for maximum throw.

762x51

Newly Enlightened
Great info....thanks all! Throw isn't all THAT important to me....I was just curious if the 1W's do throw farther. I'd say right now battery life is more important. After using the X5 a bit....I'm more happy with it than I was.....but still not as bright overall as I would like. I may end up with an e1e or e2e with a KL1 head sometime in the near future. Thanks again.

Double A:

Yes...the rifle is a .223.....unfortunately, AK's in 762x51 (.308) are few and limited in capacity. .308 is my favorite caliber overall though.

Steelwolf:

The knife is an older titanium Benchmade 970 series. They were designed by Ernest Emerson and later sold by his company as the CQC-7.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Inova 24/7 OD can be had at countycomm. He handles alot of military goods.
My fav rifle is a FN FAL in .308 and I like OD also.

neogoon

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
762x51 said:
The knife is an older titanium Benchmade 970 series. They were designed by Ernest Emerson and later sold by his company as the CQC-7.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hiya...did you grind the wave opener off (if so, any particular reason) or did it not come with one?

762x51

Newly Enlightened
neogoon:

Nope....no wave feature to begin with. This knife came out way before the wave feature was offered in Emersons line.

Question.....how is the e1e with the KL1 head? signifcantly brighter than the X5T? How about with an e2e body?

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

Drjones

Enlightened
Hello and welcome! I post at THR too. Do you use the same name there?

I have and like an X5 as well, but this place infected me with the need for ever-brighter lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

One thing I have learned through experience is that in an urban setting, you often need a pretty bright light, certainly much brighter than you would need in total darkness such as when camping. This, of course, is due to ambient lighting.

In my quest for a light brighter than my X5, I bought an Arc LSL-S for $65. I was very disappointed as it was not *that* much brighter than my Inova.

I have come to appreciate the LS though, and it has grown on me, but I still wouldn't say it beats my Inova by a ton.

An LSH-P (High dome emitter, Premium LED) is supposed to be substantially brighter than an X5, but that point is moot since I recieved my Surefire L4.

The L4, at its widest point (the bezel) is about the same diameter as the LS, and is only an 1 or 1 1/2 inches longer, but it is several times brighter. If you want a *bright* light, the L4 is the way to go. It has a VERY wide beam, which you will probably find more useful than a tighter, further-throwing beam for most uses.

Presently and unfortunately, 762x51, there is not an LED with throw to match an incandescent in a truly EDCable package.

Unless you have a specific need, rather than a desire, for a far-throwing beam you will probably find the broad, room-illuminating beam of the L4 much more useful.

It really does light up a whole room. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Again, unless you specifically need a far-reaching beam, you'll love the L4. Just buy it and get it overwith, since you'll probably end up buying it later.

Good luck and Welcome!
Drjones

762x51

Newly Enlightened
Drjones:

Yes I go by the same name on THR....I recognize your name from there. Good to see another THR member. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have been looking at the L4 quite a bit and will probably end up with one...although that new ARC LS4 looks to be VERY promising. I may wait for that just to see. I'm just afraid that the 5W Luxeon's may be too bright for everyday usage....that's why I asked about the KL1 heads. As I said before...battery life is also high on my list. Thank you for sharing your experience with the ARC LS as that is another light I have been looking at.

Drjones

Enlightened
Here's the link to my thread on my LS if you are interested:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB31&Number=332117&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

The LS4 does sound interesting, but I'm not sure about the dimmable feature. Sounds like it would be a pain to click the switch so much. Who knows...

I do not believe the 5W to be too bright for everyday stuff. It puts out a lot of light, but it is spread over enough area that it isn't intensely blinding.

And remember; a bright flashlight can always be made dimmer, but a dim flashlight cannot be made brighter.

Heck, L4s come up for sale every so often here, so buy it and if you don't like it, you will have NO problem getting your money back on it!