Flashlight Thread Lube???

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't know where to put this question and I bet it has been answered before. I thought I would get beat up less putting this question in here then in other locations. Of thread lube for aluminum bodied flashlights. Do I want to use some kind of conductive lube or not. What is generally best for aluminum lights. Where can I get this best lube, can I order it online?

snuffy

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JonSidneyB said:
Where can I get this best lube, can I order it online?

Here ya go:
lube

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have bought Nye Lube from one of our CPFers, jtivat. Good stuff. It give the flashlight an entirely different feel.

Paul

gyverpete

Enlightened
Two products come to mind, though I haven't tried them yet. So far I've used only the RS lube gel mentioned by yam, but only on the o-ring. I tend to keep the threads unlubed because over time a black slurry builds up from the oxide as the light is turned on and off, and it seems to hamper conductivity.

The following products may be just what you're looking for.
---
Penetrox. A grease that is used to prevent oxidation on aluminum wiring connections. It's available at home improvement centers and hardware stores , in the electrical aisle, and at electrical supply houses. I have a small tube or bottle of it somewhere around here. When I find it, I'll try it. Here's a pic of a bottle of Penetrox A. Other brands may be available too. Just be sure to look or ask for aluminum oxide inhibitor.
---
"bulb grease". I saw this at Lowe's in the Lighting department a few months ago. The package said it's good for all electical connections, esp, light bulb threads to "ensure positive connection and easy removal". Also saw it at auto parts store.
Here's a link to what the tube looks like.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up some pretty good silicone grease from a dive shop. They use the grease for the same as well, i.e. o-rings + all other equipment that needs waterproofing, etc...