Quark MiniX 123

Z

z_dondulah

Anyone have any impressions on this light? I think it is pretty cool. I like the stats on it with the XM-L LED. What do you think? Looks like a great EDC for $41!

jerryshu88

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have any impressions on this light? I think it is pretty cool. I like the stats on it with the XM-L LED. What do you think? Looks like a great EDC for $41!

it's cool but unfortunately not compatible with rcr123 3.7v.

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
It looks pretty nice. It should be safe to use a rcr123 if you don't use it heavily on high. Not manufacture supported though.

ChaosMaster

Newly Enlightened
Just so you know, the light isn't as focused. So if you don't want flood, you'll find the S2 is much much brighter.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the mini-x. I use it with aw rcr16340 and aw imr cells all the time. You loose warranty, but it's kind of cool (or hot you could say:devil:) when you get that extra blast with rcr. It got a broad beam and it still got some reach. Got a beamshot in another "mini xm-l" thread. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?304342-Quark-MiNi-123-XM-L
This little bugger puts out alot of light for it's size, i havent killed mine yet. Im torturing it with heat as long as my hand can take it most of the time :) medium is plenty bright for most use and lets it cool down.

Last edited:

whosdadog

Newly Enlightened
I just got mine, and I love it. Insane light for its size. I have however, noticed that it has a slight green/yellow tint. I'll post some beam shots compared to white when I get the chance.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read that post and it would appear that the RCRs had nothing to do with the Mini dieing based on this statement...

"A few days ago the light died but I am almost sure it was because of the batteries running out. I was using non-rechargeable cr123 4sevens batteries."

I sounds like he tried the RCRs after the light died and it simply continued to not work at all.

At least that's the way I am taking it. :)

Last edited:

NOREAT

Newly Enlightened
Can the switch be operated one handed? It seems that you might not be able to get a good enough grip.

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
NOREAT said:
Can the switch be operated one handed? It seems that you might not be able to get a good enough grip.

It is definitely not a one handed light even with a great cleaning and lube. If you want something small and one handed a ZebraLight is the only product I know that will fit the bill. I am sure there are other products out there that other people can recommend.

lenny

Newly Enlightened
I've posted elsewhere about this light.
I have both the MiniX 123, and Mini 123.
I prefer the Mini 123 for 3 reasons:
1. longer throw
2. cooler color beam
3. it just seems so much brighter, regardless of the Lumen ratings.
Lenny

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
?
I always use my q minis one handed. I seen it mentioned several times, "twistys need two handed operation"?? Pepole must have really weak fingers, because all my minis have been butter smooth. It's easy to operate them one handed. Even my 7 year old nephew manage to use it one handed :)

shortstack

Enlightened
I have this light as a key chain light at the moment. I wouldn't recommend it as a key chain light because the threads are very sloppy compared to my ITP A1 SS. I've drained 2 batteries and the head has fallen off in the pocket twice. I unscrew it enough to where if I press down on the head towards the body it wont accidentally light up. Other then the sloppy threads also some mode skipping it a fantastic light, lots of light and bright.

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
BirdofPrey said:
Use mine all the time one handed and I've not clean or lubed it.

It's great that you can do that. But twisties are designed for two handed use. For example, I love my G5 but it definitely takes two hands to operate the light. I WISH that it had the same interface as the Olight M20s or Klarus xt10. Those are designed for one handed use as is the ZebraLight. Key is to choose wisely and be happy with your purchase.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tail twist is hard one handed in a underhand grip. Headtwist is as easy as using the new lights with magnetic control rings. Insted of twisting the control ring, you twist the entire head. So i wouldent say a small, smooth headtwist is designed for two hand operation.

I like the minis because i can hold my light down at my hips and change modes while walking. No need to change grip to overhand like most tail clicky's/tail twist. I walk with my arms down and tumbs pointing forwards (light also points forward), so a headtwist is way more easy than altering grip (so the light points backwards) to control something at the back of the light. The zebra is also nice because you can use it while walking, and we dont need to change grip to change modes.

Last edited:

ToyTank

Enlightened
I just got a MiniX 123 fulfilled by amazon. Mine seems pretty close to neutral white with maybe a TINY hint of yellow but I am very pleased and surprised with the tint. Output is nice too. Much less pink than my WW 501W but much warmer than my cool white lights.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've posted elsewhere about this light.
I have both the MiniX 123, and Mini 123.
I prefer the Mini 123 for 3 reasons:
1. longer throw
2. cooler color beam
3. it just seems so much brighter, regardless of the Lumen ratings.
Lenny

I also have both lights and basically agree. The MiNiX spreads more lumens over a larger area with the result that the MiNi 123 has a higher intensity in the spot even though technically with lower overall lumens. The MiNi has sufficient spill to avoid tunneling for the most part. And yes, the beam color is a bit too far in the warm color. I will probably eventually give away the MiNiX and keep the MiNi. I had several XM-L lights and, well, will not purchase any more. I have only 2 left.